Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains on travertine

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains on travertine

Well, spring is here. And wet pollen from the recent rain storm has stained our travertine deck. Any suggestions on how to clean? I'm thinking of using DuPont stone and tile cleaner and was interested in other alternatives.

We have unsealed ivory travertine pavers.

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stains on travertine

That sucks.

Steam cleaning?

Travertine is very soft and easily damaged by chemicals. Be very careful with chemical cleaners.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Yea if I can get this clean, sealing is looking more and more attractive.

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

4. Back To Top    #4

We have silver travertine as coping and it also is marked with some pollen and leaf stains. I finally just let it be and figure it's part of its "natural" look. I believe they have lightened up from last year though. But I understand your frustration. I was upset at first, but then decided to let it go.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

5. Back To Top    #5

Stains on travertine

Yea. The ivory travertine is so light tho so it is really noticeable. When it is wet it is not as noticeable since the rest of the stone is darkened. We were really hoping to get away with not sealing it as we like the lighter dry look, but we can't reasonably be spraying down the deck every time the wind blows.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I would bet a 3:1 chlorine/water mix would clear it up. Let the mix sit for a minute or so. The sun will oxidize some of it, too.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I would bet a 3:1 chlorine/water mix would clear it up. Let the mix sit for a minute or so. The sun will oxidize some of it, too.
    I did a test at different dilutions and 3:1 is definitely too strong for the stone. 1:1 or less seems to be effective without staining the stone. I'm giving it a few hours for my test spots to fully dry before attacking any of the stains.

The DuPont stonetech didn't do the job in lifting the stains. It's probably better for routine cleaning. I wonder if I can use the stonetech in my power washer for cleanings?

8. Back To Top    #8

I would avoid anything acidic, even water with a pH down near 7 can be aggressive towards the travertine. I mentioned steam cleaning and I was actually kind of serious about it. I have a steam cleaner (the kind with a wand, not a carpet cleaner) and it is very useful for pulling up organic stains as opposed to trying to use something caustic to lift an organic stain. I actually use it a lot on my BBQ to remove oils and greases that build up on it as well clean outdoor tiling with it.

One other option, although difficult to find, would be to use a high concentration form of peroxide to bleach the stains. You would want about 10-12% peroxide mixed with a few teaspoons of ammonia (straight ammonia, no lemony or pine scents). The ammonia raises the pH of the solution and de-acidifies the peroxide (peroxides are stabilized at low pH typically less than 5). The ammonia will help to lift and dissolve greases while the peroxide will bleach organic staines. Using peroxide & ammonia avoids the use of chlorides which can be detrimental to the stone over time. 27% peroxide solutions can be found at pool stores that sell Baquacil products as the peroxide is used as the oxidizer in Baqua-pools.

Just be careful handling high strength peroxide as it is a bleaching agent and it will bleach skin. Like all chemicals, you want to wear gloves and eye goggles, and long sleeved clothing to protect yourself.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Stains on travertine

The 1:1 bleach/water mixture worked really well. I used it very sparingly (my mixture was 4oz total) only on the stains and hosed it off immediately after scrubbing with a handheld brush. I wasn't a fan of using the bleach but it was the only thing that came even close to working. Since our stone is so light, it had no discoloring effects. Here's an after shot:

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks great! I may have to try it.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm guessing you've got to get to it relatively quickly. It was about 2 days later. I have some older stains that wouldn't come up at all.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    Looks great! I may have to try it.
    Thanks! It was worth the elbow grease.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have used rubbing alcohol to clean our travertine inside. Might be another thing to try. Also a water "poultice"; easier to do with a small stain - find something to form a closed ring or area around the stain and fill with water and let the water soak in and lift the stain out.
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Kpag View Post
    I have used rubbing alcohol to clean our travertine inside. Might be another thing to try. Also a water "poultice"; easier to do with a small stain - find something to form a closed ring or area around the stain and fill with water and let the water soak in and lift the stain out.
    I have read about the poultice, but "ain't nobody got time for that!"

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by grumpiebk View Post
    I have read about the poultice, but "ain't nobody got time for that!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I suggest waving a bottle of Grey Goose vodka over the stain. After a couple of good swigs from the bottle, no one will care about the stain...

Matt

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I suggest waving a bottle of Grey Goose vodka over the stain. After a couple of good swigs from the bottle, no one will care about the stain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a titos kinda guy these days...but agreed!

17. Back To Top    #17

Funny how a little vodka can cure almost anything!
    Almost completed. 35x16 3.5/5.5/4. 7x10 Wet deck with one color cascade bubbler. Three 24" sheer descents. JR Smith typhoon water slide. 420 SF filter, Intelliflo VS pump and whisperflow feature pump. IC 40 SWG. ScreenLogic automation. 80% solar heating coverage. Noche travertine coping with ivory pavers. Outdoor kitchen with Bull appliances. Doheny Discovery robot.