Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump doesn't prime anymore after I connected a manual cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Pump doesn't prime anymore after I connected a manual cleaner

Hi everyone,

My pump was priming good until I decided to connect a manual cleaner while the pump was running. The flow lowered due to air in the hoses I connected but the pump never prime after that. Once I finished cleaning the pool I disconnected the manual cleaner and set every thing back as normal but prime wouldn't prime anymore. Did I messed up something?

20K gallon IG plaster. 1.5HP Northstar Hayward pump one speed, sand filter. Build 2003. Barracuda MX8
    Last edited by angwol; 03-21-2017 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Signature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump doesn't prime anymore after I connected a manual cleaner

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here about what to add and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi everyone,

My pump was priming good until I decided to connect a manual cleaner while the pump was running. The flow lowered due to air in the hoses I connected but the pump never prime after that. Once I finished cleaning the pool I disconnected the manual cleaner and set every thing back as normal but prime wouldn't prime anymore. Did I messed up something?
    20K gallon IG plaster. 1.5HP Northstar Hayward pump one speed, sand filter. Build 2003. Barracuda MX8. 5 way test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Does your pump have flex hose or hard plumbing? If flex you can start at pump and pick up hose above pool level which will "burp" the hose. Just work from pump to skimmer a coupl times. This will often serve to prime the pump. Otherwise you can remove the cover from strainer to get rid of air and put it back on with a little water loss. Then start pump
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

5. Back To Top    #5

Its hard plumbing, i did remove the cover from the strainer and even cleaned it but still doesn't prime

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Can you put a garden hose in the pump basket and fill it up? If you can, try that and then quickly close the cover and try the pump. Otherwise a bucket of water could work for you too.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Did you vacuum up a lot of debris? How long are you letting it prime?
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes it did pick up some debris while manual cleaning. I let it prime but I noticed that the skimmer only gets half full even after I filled it myself prior. The water flow is very low and it seems as it would never get full completely.
    20K gallon IG plaster. 1.5HP Northstar Hayward pump one speed, sand filter. Build 2003. Barracuda MX8. 5 way test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, post a pic of your equipment pad so we can see the plumbing going to the pump.
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Couple of possible culprits: clogged impeller or a blockage. I had this problem recently, and it ended up being a blockage in the suction side. I took the pump apart to make sure the impeller was completely clear. Then I bought a Drain King and let that go to work on the pipes. The amount of leaves it blew out of there was amazing.
    10K Gal IG Freeform Fiberglass Pool
    1.5 HP Centurion Pump
    Pentair CC100 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward Automatic Pool Cleaner (model unkown)

11. Back To Top    #11

The impeller was clogged now the pump is working good. thanks for all the help with this concern

12. Back To Top    #12

here's the filter and pipes
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

What is all that white stuff on your filter?

I am not sure how you can see inside that pump basket. If 409 or something like that doesn't clean it up, you should clean it with 3:1 muriatic acid
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

its after the water dries up, residue left. i can see inside the pump basket with no problem but how you suggest to clean it with acid, just pour some in the pump basket?

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

remove the pump basket lid and clean with some type of 409 or detergent. When dry, mix a 3:1 solution of muriatic and water and pour it onto the UPSIDE DOWN lid in your driveway or somewhere where the acid will do no harm. It'll clean off that scale.

Why is your filter leaking out the top?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

its not leaking but i had troubles with the pump priming since before. I had to replace several pieces, and so every time i try to make the pump prime I open the air valve in top of the filter to left the air go. trying to help the pump prime. I read that's what you do when trying to prime the pump

17. Back To Top    #17

Have you tried priming the pump with the suction valve closing the vacuum pipe? I would try that first. You can also remove the screws on that valve and remove the diverter inside to see if you can clear the clog.
    TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Its working good now, I did clean up inside the valve, thanks. Question should i let the pump prime by itself or should I continue opening the air release?
    Also as you notice in the picture of how my filter is to perform a deep clean on the filter I need to disconnect the filter from the pipes altogether? do I close the two holes? what's the best way to deep clean my type of filter?

19. Back To Top    #19

Good news! I usually let the pump prime and then open the air release to let off the excess air after. More info about deep cleaning here, Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

I saw the videos and all but I still have one question. My filter has two openings on the body of the filter itself where the filter on the video does not. The in and outs of water are done through the valve. So how its it done with my type of filter?