First time poster green pool

SLEEP! NOTHING gets in the way of my sleep! It is not good for your health for me to not get my sleep LOL

As high as your FC is I doubt you will need to add any until tomorrow afternoon!

We will have to figure out why it went so high. I will get up with you tomorrow and see what is what.

Kim:kim:

60bd6b4fdb4aebee179d23ef804f15e9.jpg

6b7dcbc688eb2eebbc06249245cdaaa2.jpg

I woke up this morning and couldn't believe what i saw, once the sun was up anyways. My pool is coming back to life!
My FC levels at both 5 and 7 am have been locked at 31. I really am not sure why they have stayed so high, I haven't added chlorine once.

Later when it's warmer I will test everything, brush the pool. Wandering if I should wash out filters as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fantastic progress ... although we do not recommend raising the FC that far above SLAM level. Let's try to figure that out.

What is the strength of the bleach that you added?
For the FAS-DPD test did you use 10ml or 25ml of water?
What was the multiplier you used for the FAS-DPD test per drop?

Looks like 5.3 gallons of 8.25% bleach should have raised it 28ppm, but if it was 12.5% (which would be in an actual gallon bottle), that would have added about 40ppm.

Wow, that really is a pretty pool and yard. :)

Are you sure about the size of your pool? That might explain the high FC level.

Check your filter pressure.... but then again being a cartridge it couldn't hurt... keep up the good work!

Yip :flower:

Fantastic progress ... although we do not recommend raising the FC that far above SLAM level. Let's try to figure that out.

What is the strength of the bleach that you added?
It is the Great Value Walmart brand at 8.25%, one gallon bottle.
For the FAS-DPD test did you use 10ml or 25ml of water?
I used 10 ml per the instructions.
What was the multiplier you used for the FAS-DPD test per drop?
I used the multiplier of .5 again per the instructions.

Looks like 5.3 gallons of 8.25% bleach should have raised it 28ppm, but if it was 12.5% (which would be in an actual gallon bottle), that would have added about 40ppm.

I'm assuming the gallon bottle that says the 8.25 would be correct, but maybe I'm missing something on that.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm getting ready to do a test in a few minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, that really is a pretty pool and yard. :)
Thanks so much, I will have to try and take a picture that shows it on a larger scale, we love our backyard, and with 80 degrees in the forecast today, I wish the pool weren't at shock level, I'd be in it!

Are you sure about the size of your pool? That might explain the high FC level.
pretty much positive. We built the pool and in setting this up, I checked the contract. 15' x 30'
Depth 3'6", deep end 6'
Water surface area 371 sq. ft.
If my math is off let me know, used pool math, hoping it was right! :confused:

Check your filter pressure.... but then again being a cartridge it couldn't hurt... keep up the good work!
I think I will rinse the filter at some point today, just to get any unwanted algae out of there.

Yip :flower:

Thanks for your feedback!

The 8.25% bleach does not come in gallon jugs, they are 121 oz. Did you use 5.3 jugs or take the smaller bottle into account?

What is your pools depth profile (or average depth)? Looking at a 15x30 pool with an average depth of 4 feet (which is fairly typical) is only 13,500 gallons.

5b4f83eb623ff91b79929c538c6c97f4.jpg

2d37d6db41ca6ef77e9c2054a1b6290d.jpg

These are what I used. I see 121 oz. is shy of a gallon, this is the number I entered on the calculator.

My math right be wrong on the depth profile, that might help. I used a depth profile of 4.75. My pool is 3'6" in the shallow end and 6' in the deep end. Am I off?

Thanks jbizzle for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The CYA test would work fine, although unless you changed water, the value should not have changed.

Is the pool really split evenly between the shallow and deep?

Not sure how the FC went so high, combination of less water than you think and stronger than expected bleach?

jblizzle said:
Is the pool really split evenly between the shallow and deep?

Not sure how the FC went so high, combination of less water than you think and stronger than expected bleach?

You know that's a great question on the shallow versus deep, never really looked at it, when the water doesn't look milky, and I can see the bottom ,I will have to take a look.

That is the million dollar question, how it shot so high, I felt like I followed everything as it should have been. I guess as long as my pool and tile and doesn't turn white, and my pipes don't burst, I'm ok. I going to just keep it at 28, with the sun shining today, I have a feeling that number will drop.

Having the FC a little high for a few days should not cause any lasting problems.

Over time, if you are consistently missing your targets with all chemical doses, you may just need to adjust your volume.

I think I found the problem.
If a pool is 15 x 30 3' -6' its average should be 4.5, on poolmath comes to 15,100.
My pool is 15 x 30 3 1/2 -6', I put the average at 4.75 on pool math comes to 16,000.

But if my shallow end is 3 1/2, it should be less than 16,000, otherwise known as 4.25, or 14,3000. I still don't think that justifies my original reading in the low 40 range, but it makes more sense.

eccd03809a1496c7e0c92db78a2cd909.jpg

Tested this morning at 5:30 and was right at my target shock FC level of 28.
Just tested again and was at 20.5 [emoji33]
That's a drastic drop.
I have a question. I had a bit of a challenge with the CYA test and couldn't figure out exactly I could no longer see the dot. Thought it was between 65-70 but may have been closer to 80. Tested it again yesterday with similar results.

After looking at the cloudiness in the water should I jump target FC shock level to 31?

Should I condition the water during the SLAM process?

Keep in mind I drained 60% of my pool and would not prefer to drain any more. I also rinsed my filter out yesterday.

I'm only about 48 hours into this and want to make sure I don't over react.

- - - Updated - - -

So if the clean pressure starts at 5 and goes to 6 I should rinse?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.