Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noisy motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Noisy motor

Started up pool here in ATL. Motor very noisy after the winter break. Been running a week, no change. New to the pool and told it was replaced 3 yrs ago. Repair / replace? If replace, what are the best options for a 1HP. It is fairly close to the neighbors, so need something quiet.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noisy motor

Welcome to the forums. If you're mechanically inclined, you may change out the bearnings. Check youtube, pool motor bearing replacement. It's an easy job overall. If you want to swap out the motor, go with a 2-speed. Running on low speed you'll save money.
    Do you have water features? You don't have to change out the whole pump, just the motor.
    Murrieta, CA. 15K (Est) pool/spa. Hayward Tristar SP3220EE 2.70HP pump, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter C4025 425sqft (PA106), Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. TF-100/Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

A capacitor on the way out will make a lot of noise too.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure I understand how a dying capacitor will make noise.

Anyway, I would go with a new 2 speed motor. It will save you mucho cash.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't understand either, but mine did that yesterday.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

6. Back To Top    #6

No water features, and yes, I capable of a bearing swap. But thinking to just do the motor swap to a 2 speed....How do they work/set up? Just a swap out?

7. Back To Top    #7

Pretty much. You'll need a new shaft seal, maybe a seal kit, and a switch to switch from low to high.
    Murrieta, CA. 15K (Est) pool/spa. Hayward Tristar SP3220EE 2.70HP pump, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter C4025 425sqft (PA106), Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. TF-100/Speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. I have an Aqua Logic AQL PS8 system controller. Looks like it has 2 speed control built in. So what would be the runtime profile in low speed? How to figure out the schedule?

Ps. Any brand recommendations for good quality?