Hello From Florida

SWEET! Looks good so far.

TA-the water will "flash" but not hold the color change at first. You are looking for "ish" color change. It will not be BLUE it will be blue-ish. Once the color holds then add one more drop to see if it will change anymore. If not then do NOT count that last dot.

CYA (gurrrrrrrrrrr how I hate this test)-you will not be able to do it the "real" way tonight. It should be done in full sun. When you are able to do it here are my tips:

-Bring the water to room temp. (only one you really need to do so)

-Mix pool water with regent, let is sit for a moment or two

-Pour into tube to the first line (100) GLANCE in. If you can see the dot at the GLANCE the pour to the next line and GLANCE in. Pour line to line until you cannot see the dot at a GLANCE! Do NOT stare as you will "see" the dot if you look hard enough for it. GLANCE as if you see a good looking someone at the bar :compress: glance then look away before you get caught looking!

Yes to both. We do need to know the CYA to really know how much FC. You can do that tomorrow when you get home from work. I would take the FC up to 5 as that is a safe number no matter what the CYA is.

How have you been adding FC up until now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes to both. We do need to know the CYA to really know how much FC. You can do that tomorrow when you get home from work. I would take the FC up to 5 as that is a safe number no matter what the CYA is.

How have you been adding FC up until now?

So the CYA will affect the amount of bleach I put in?
I've not added anything to the pool. We had a pool guy that decided to only show up when it was convenient to him. So we fired him. That's what prompted me to take matters into my own hands.
And just so I'm clear....I add actual bleach to the pool? I'm talking like clorox or something?
Is that more cost effective than buying chlorine at the pool store?

Lets talk chlorine/bleach:

-they are the same thing-----chlorine from the pool store will be around 11% and PLAIN, GENERIC bleach (NO pretty smells, splashless, etc) bleach from Walmart or such will be 8.25%

-Pool store-you will have to "rent" their jugs but no big deal really.

-Make sure to look around and see what fits in your life. If you have to make a "trip" to get the chlorine then it is that much harder. If it is on the way home then it makes life easier.

Here is a link for you:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

There is a bit of a learn curve with this so play around with it. Some pointers:

-when you put in the size do NOT put in the , for some reason Pool Math does not like it.

-look down towards the bottom-you will see where it asks which method to use. Set it to TFP

Now take a peek at the link I gave you in post 26. Now take a look at this link:

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

this one really shows how FC and CYA are linked together. The more CYA you have the more FC you need.

Now for some *light* reading. It is a LOT of reading but it really tells the whys of what we teach at TFP. Take it slow and be ready to reread it a couple/few times. As you use it it will all start to click:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I don't want to overwhelm you so will let this all sink in and give you some more homework tomorrow LOL

:hug: it was FUN to walk you through it. I hope the beer helped! I will talk to you tomorrow!

Kim:kim:

NICE! It is not as high as I thought it would be! WOW! You got off lucky!

Okay can you please take and share a picture of your pool looking down at the deep end with something in it for me to see like a brush or the cleaner. I want to see just how clear it is. You can do it tomorrow so you can use the sun to show it off.

Your other "homework" is to fill out your signature. Go up to settings (upper right of this page), go to edit signature (middle left). Fill in your pool size and kind, equipment kind (filter, pump, swg if you have it), your test kit, etc.

That will help others in the future as you learn your pool and have more questions.

I will be back in a few to give you some more home work LOL

Tell me how you are adding FC to your pool please.

I have another link for you. I would print this one out and put it by your test kit storage area. Make sure you store your test kit inside the house in a dark cabinet. Heat and sun can mess up the regents.

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

This will help you know the best way to care for your pool and when to do it.

I keep a log of my test results. It helps me learn the patterns and behavior of my pool. After a while you will know what your pool needs before you even test it! I tested my fill water and it is on the front of the small notebook I keep my test results in. That tells me what I have to work with if I have to fill from the hose.

NICE! It is not as high as I thought it would be! WOW! You got off lucky!

Okay can you please take and share a picture of your pool looking down at the deep end with something in it for me to see like a brush or the cleaner. I want to see just how clear it is. You can do it tomorrow so you can use the sun to show it off.

Your other "homework" is to fill out your signature. Go up to settings (upper right of this page), go to edit signature (middle left). Fill in your pool size and kind, equipment kind (filter, pump, swg if you have it), your test kit, etc.

That will help others in the future as you learn your pool and have more questions.

I will be back in a few to give you some more home work LOL

Great! Glad to hear you say that. I'm a little concerned about something though. The pool math says that to adjust CYA, you have to replace a certain amount of water? What exactly does that mean?

I'll get a picture posted this evening. Had a busy night last night and didn't get a chance to get back on here.

I'll get the signature updated this week as well. That is, once I figure out exactly what I've got. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Tell me how you are adding FC to your pool please.

I have another link for you. I would print this one out and put it by your test kit storage area. Make sure you store your test kit inside the house in a dark cabinet. Heat and sun can mess up the regents.

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

This will help you know the best way to care for your pool and when to do it.

I keep a log of my test results. It helps me learn the patterns and behavior of my pool. After a while you will know what your pool needs before you even test it! I tested my fill water and it is on the front of the small notebook I keep my test results in. That tells me what I have to work with if I have to fill from the hose.

I've not added any chlorine to the pool as of yet.
The last chemicals added were by the pool service we were using. I don't really know what he was doing. When we decided to not show up, we took matters into our own hands. Which is what led me here. :D

If you want to lower CYA by replacing water, you drain some of it and then refill. Fill water has no CYA, so your overall CYA goes down.

A CYA of 70 in Florida is fine, it will go down over time with rain, you just need to maintain a proper FC level (the chart)

Another "service" we offer is to tell you what you have! Take and share some pics of your equipment and any models and such you can see on them! That will really help us help you the most now.

Okay homework time for today! Look at this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Now tell me what your minimum FC should be and what your target FC for your CYA of 70.................

Please pick up some bleach on the way home. I would get 5 gallons to get you through the weekend. You need to get some in NOW befor algae gets a foothold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support