New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

Re: Waterline tile suggestions with Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen? LED lights worth it?

Here are some photos of the arctic ice 1x1. Note that they are installed over pale grey thinset and have pale grey grout (as opposed to white).

The overall effect gives a silvery sheen. Also, the tiles seem to take on the colors that surround them so they blend well with the water color whether it appears bright blue or greenish teal as it does at different times of day. At night, they reflect the moonlight and the step markers are quite bright (like lights).

If you want more color contrast, arctic lagoon would be a good choice. I wanted the tiles to blend in and am happy with the effect of the ice tiles.

That looks amazing! What interior finish/color is that? I love the tile too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look at this post I copied from another thread. I LOVE this tile! SO much BLING!!!!

Is this something you would like?

Kim:kim:

Love it! I like those smaller tiles for the waterline too. When I went to the pool tile place, the guy told me it's hard to get them to look even with the waterline & they can pop off... any information on that? I see a lot of people doing it.

It is all in the skill of the installer!!! That is what it all comes down to. IF they are "artist" they can make them straight. The popping off is not something I have heard too much of. It has happened but again it was the installer's fault.

I would ask to see the installers last job to see if they are the ones you want on your job. I know the smaller ones do take a little more skill than the 6x6 BUT it is YOUR money so you should get what I want BLING! LOL

It is all in the skill of the installer!!! That is what it all comes down to. IF they are "artist" they can make them straight. The popping off is not something I have heard too much of. It has happened but again it was the installer's fault.

I would ask to see the installers last job to see if they are the ones you want on your job. I know the smaller ones do take a little more skill than the 6x6 BUT it is YOUR money so you should get what I want BLING! LOL

These are some tile samples I came home with. Also pics of a couple blue water mini pebble colors. Still thinking about the deck materials... travertine looks great, but I'm worried it's slippery.

Should have brought this one home!

I love both sets! How do you pick???? Toss a coin! You can't go wrong that is for sure!

I do love the shape and look of the longer tiles for some reason. Can you get the same colors as the square ones in the long ones?

I love both sets! How do you pick???? Toss a coin! You can't go wrong that is for sure!

I do love the shape and look of the longer tiles for some reason. Can you get the same colors as the square ones in the long ones?

I prefer the rectangular shape too. I'm not sure if the other one comes like that or not - I will check into it though! Which blue do you like? I'm leaning towards the darker one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are talking plaster? If so I do like the darker one also. IF you are talking other tile I like the ones that are paired up with the glass tile.

Yes, I actually meant the interior color, sorry I wasn't clear. Since I'm in AZ, I wonder if it would make the pool too warm? I'm kind of a baby though & like the water at least 83 or so.

Here's a pic of a pool they just did in that darker color. It's very blue!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
AZsunsets, as I looked over your very nice design, I saw a little detail that you may want to think about. If you look at the vacuum port and the right side of the step in the deep end, I had a very similar sharp angle in a step, with the same sort of angle back to the vacuum port in my old pool, and every suction side cleaner I tried would get stuck in that corner. This may, or may not be your experience, but if I were in your shoes, I'd "smooth" (put a radius further into the pool wall) that angle out a bit, as if nothing else, it'll still collect junk in the sharp point of the almost 90 degree angle it's drawn in the plans where the cleaner will never get to.

I know it sounds like a really small detail, and it is. But I lived with my sticky corner for a long time, and I don't miss it..:)

AZsunsets, as I looked over your very nice design, I saw a little detail that you may want to think about. If you look at the vacuum port and the right side of the step in the deep end, I had a very similar sharp angle in a step, with the same sort of angle back to the vacuum port in my old pool, and every suction side cleaner I tried would get stuck in that corner. This may, or may not be your experience, but if I were in your shoes, I'd "smooth" (put a radius further into the pool wall) that angle out a bit, as if nothing else, it'll still collect junk in the sharp point of the almost 90 degree angle it's drawn in the plans where the cleaner will never get to.

I know it sounds like a really small detail, and it is. But I lived with my sticky corner for a long time, and I don't miss it..:)

I really appreciate your input & I've been told that they will "fan" everything out when they are plastering. Not sure if that's true...
I did revise my plan a couple times, can you tell me if this latest version is the one you are talking about? Also, you are talking about the side of the step where it shows the step-out, correct?

Thank you!

The Arizona color looks very close to my finish color. When I was looking as samples the PB told me to pace the samples in water. The plaster color will darken when wet.

Wet/Dry plaster
AHZbNhZ-1.jpg

Water Color: Mid day, no clouds. This is the lightest blue to pool looks. Afternoon is a deeper blue.
oWyKY7c-1.jpg

BQ3Fjle-1.jpg

These are some tile samples I came home with. Also pics of a couple blue water mini pebble colors. Still thinking about the deck materials... travertine looks great, but I'm worried it's slippery.

Should have brought this one home!

I will look into that finish. I haven't heard of it, but it may be available.

Do you have one of those colors?

We have not plastered yet and it's not readily available in Austin, but I'm looking into it. I was impressed by how small the pebble is and the glass beads in it.

I really appreciate your input & I've been told that they will "fan" everything out when they are plastering. Not sure if that's true...
I did revise my plan a couple times, can you tell me if this latest version is the one you are talking about? Also, you are talking about the side of the step where it shows the step-out, correct?

Thank you!

yes, it's the one you posted here. Down by the 4'depth note. the drawing shows almost a 90 degree angle for the bench to the pool wall. It should be no problem to have them cut in a shallower angle when they gunite, and you won't lose really any swimming area. You'll just have to be on them and the PB to make sure it's done the way you want it. And it may not even be an issue in your pool, I just remember that tight angle, and the same approximate run back to the vacuum port. And even when it didnt' get stuck, there would always be dirt in that area, and I always thought it was because of the way the water circulated..that hard angle was just right to create an eddy, and drop the dirt right there.

Re: Waterline tile suggestions with Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen? LED lights worth it?

Thanks! The finish is pebbletec Tahoe Blue with 20% glass beads ("luminous") in jade mix (a mixture of blue, green, clear, and bronze/gold glass beads). In person, the pool is much brighter and deeper shades of turquoise, blue, or teal depending on the lighting.

I love the sample of the 1x1s you got, especially paired with the darker blue finish.

That looks amazing! What interior finish/color is that? I love the tile too!

yes, it's the one you posted here. Down by the 4'depth note. the drawing shows almost a 90 degree angle for the bench to the pool wall. It should be no problem to have them cut in a shallower angle when they gunite, and you won't lose really any swimming area. You'll just have to be on them and the PB to make sure it's done the way you want it. And it may not even be an issue in your pool, I just remember that tight angle, and the same approximate run back to the vacuum port. And even when it didnt' get stuck, there would always be dirt in that area, and I always thought it was because of the way the water circulated..that hard angle was just right to create an eddy, and drop the dirt right there.

Okay, thanks! I will see what they can do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.