New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

None of the start up procedures match my situation.

They will do a light acid wash tomorrow, & then fill the pool.

I'm wondering what plan should I follow?
I'm guessing I need to have stabilizer, acid and bleach on hand. Is there anything else I need?

I really don't want to mess this new pool up. I know the pool store way, but I'm assuming that is ALL wrong!

That's going to turn out fantastic. Won't be long and you'll be sitting in your pool, looking up at the stars, and trying to comprehend that this is YOUR POOL !! You'll know your water is good when you can stand on the edge and count dark pebbles in the deep end.

Here is our start up page. Make sure to run it by whoever holds your plaster warranty card:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

They are doing the middle one on yours- traditional start up. NOTE the 30 days no swimming does NOT apply to your start up!!!!

You can use a manual vacuum head on your pool. No wheeled ones yet.

Does this help?

Did I share my set of links for new pool owners with you way back in your pages? You know what? I am going to go ahead and share them now just in case I did not before:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

:hug:

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is our start up page. Make sure to run it by whoever holds your plaster warranty card:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

They are doing the middle one on yours- traditional start up. NOTE the 30 days no swimming does NOT apply to your start up!!!!

You can use a manual vacuum head on your pool. No wheeled ones yet.

Does this help?

Did I share my set of links for new pool owners with you way back in your pages? You know what? I am going to go ahead and share them now just in case I did not before:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

:hug:

Thank you so much! I just wasn't sure which one to follow.

I will talk to them when they are out this morning. They may send someone by, that I don't know about, to put in the initial chemicals.

The company I used, kind of partners with Leslie's, so I know they prefer you take your water there & follow their advise. For the start up period, that might be the best idea warranty wise.

I know I've read a lot on here about powdered form CYA, but from experience with Leslie's, I know they have a liquid conditioner that you add slowly to the skimmer, is this method alright?

The liquid gold CYA is fine but it is quite a bit more $$. You do not need to pour in the skimmer though. Turn your pump on high and pour in front of a return.

Your PB may add it for you. Ask to be there and write down what they add to your water so we can see what is what.

They might put some kind of sequester or "start up" liquid in the water. That is normal.

Be aware you water and plaster may look a little green in the beginning. This is VERY normal so don't panic. It will even out as the water gets balanced.

If you show your test kit and that you know how to use it to the PB he might allow you to do your own testing. We have seen that many time here at TFP. Most PB are not used to someone that knows what they are doing so..............

The liquid gold CYA is fine but it is quite a bit more $$. You do not need to pour in the skimmer though. Turn your pump on high and pour in front of a return.

Your PB may add it for you. Ask to be there and write down what they add to your water so we can see what is what.

They might put some kind of sequester or "start up" liquid in the water. That is normal.

Be aware you water and plaster may look a little green in the beginning. This is VERY normal so don't panic. It will even out as the water gets balanced.

If you show your test kit and that you know how to use it to the PB he might allow you to do your own testing. We have seen that many time here at TFP. Most PB are not used to someone that knows what they are doing so..............

Okay thanks for the confirmation on liquid CYA & the warning about green water. Yikes!
I bought some "liquid gold" yesterday since that's the go to for Leslie's.
The only thing I'm concerned about is really the CYA getting too high & not having chlorine levels consistent with TFP guidelines. At CYA of 90 & chlorine of 3, the pool shop gives you a thumbs up... that's what is confusing to me.

Is there anything to test for to see if there are any bad/unsafe things in your water? I know from reading on here, phosphates are a non/issue, but they always text for them, & I keep them down in my other pool.

Sorry I have so many questions, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf [emoji39]

The sun is up! Where are those acid wash guys???

Water??? Water???

Yep!! I've got three hoses in there.
Watching then pour the acid over my new pool finish was scary!!
f32b03558f8f3ce1b66790fa5a8d2252-1.jpg
9da20517c4a4104bc97b71bfdd864676-1.jpg
40a370ede4ba5737837e7d981b39fedf-1.jpg

Really good startup guide and video:
http://www.wetedgetechnologies.com/files/2014_Start_Up_Form.pdf
28 Day Pool Start Up - YouTube

Out of the gate you will likely need muratic acid and perhaps soda ash. I ended up starting with 3 gallons to get my TA down from 180 to 80 and am up to adding 4 gallons total after 1 week. You want to do a traditional start up. You can always "boil the pool" later...aka "acid start up" if you don't like the uniformity. For determining how much acid, I used this quick guide:
https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Salt&SwimChemistryGuide.pdf

Really good startup guide and video:
http://www.wetedgetechnologies.com/files/2014_Start_Up_Form.pdf
28 Day Pool Start Up - YouTube

Out of the gate you will likely need muratic acid and perhaps soda ash. I ended up starting with 3 gallons to get my TA down from 180 to 80 and am up to adding 4 gallons total after 1 week. You want to do a traditional start up. You can always "boil the pool" later...aka "acid start up" if you don't like the uniformity. For determining how much acid, I used this quick guide:
https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Salt&SwimChemistryGuide.pdf

Thank you so much!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.