Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Time Pool Owner (Bidding Stage) - Cypress, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

First Time Pool Owner (Bidding Stage) - Cypress, TX

We have just started looking into building a pool and I happen to stubble on to this website. So far we have discuss our plans with 2 PB and they have supplied us quotes and layouts. However, one builder was providing Salt Water and the other chlorine. (I understand that both pools are chlorine pools but it is how the chlorine is generated - thanks to this website ) After several days of reading through the forums, I am convenience that SWG is what I would prefer to get. Still looking for another 1 or 2 PB to get quotes specifically tailored to SWG. Below is our current design and equipment that is being offered by the PB that was proposing to a SW pool.

Pool
    Size Ave.- 32 x 18
    Perimeter 111
    Sq. ft. 576
    Depth 36 4 6
    Gallons 14,930
    Fill line auto
    Over flow yes to drains
    Raised beam 6& 12 finished w/Split Face
    Columns (2) 2x 2 - 18 tall
    Returns - 6
    Skimmers - 2
    Main Drains - 4
    Pool light (2) LED Colored IntelliBrite
    Plaster Pebble Sheen (Level 1 Color)

Equipment
    Pump IntelliFlo Variable Speed
    Filter 420 Cartridge (Pentair) - (Based on the size of the pool should I go to the 520?)
    Falls pump 1.5 HP WhisperFlo (Pentair)
    Cleaner Booster Pump HP - (Deleting and getting a robotic cleaner)
    Cleaner Racer (Pentair) - (Deleting and getting a robotic cleaner)
    Heater 400,000 BTU (Pentair)
    Chlorinator IntelliChlor Salt System (I need to confirm the size but I am assuming it is the IC40)
    Blower 1.5 HP Silencer
    Acid Tank - IntelliPH - (Is this really necessary???)
    Automated System EasyTouch 8 wireless

Water Features
    Sheer Descent (3) 2ft
    Bubbler (2) on tanning ledge

SPA
    Size 8 x 6 w/ BI-level seating
    Raised 9
    Returns (6) Hydro Air Jets
    Air Button Switch Yes
    Spillway 360 Vanishing Edge

Attachment 57921
    Attachment 57921

Are there any PB that people would recommend in the Cypress/Houston area for SWG pools? Any input on the layout or things that we should be looking for in the quotes?

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Time Pool Owner (Bidding Stage) - Cypress, TX

Okie doke- sounds like a nice pool!

No, the acid injector isn't necessary. Some folks say the SWG pools use more acid as they seem to encourage the pH to rise, but mine doesn't. I rarely have to add any.
    I'd rather do it myself than risk a mechanical device mis-firing and dumping its entire contents into my pool! I'm low tech that way.

The cartridge filter is ok, but bigger means you can go longer between cleaning them out. That's a plus in my book!

Great call on the robot. Saves buying and managing a separate pump too.

Get the PB to spell out the size of the SWG. Bigger is better We recommend one 2-3x the volume of the pool as this extends the life of the cell (theoretically).

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi! Thanks for letting us help spend your money!

I do not see any pictures Please try again. If you become a supporting member you get to use the Photo Gallery and get a discount on the test kit and help us keep the lights on so it is a win-win!

I would talk to the other PB if you liked him about doing a SWG. Let him give it a shot.

I would try to get a couple of other quotes and share them here so we can look them over.

I can tell you have been busy reading! NICE!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ga,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for your pool build questions...

I have a pool about the same size and would recommend the larger 520 filter. I only clean mine twice a year, and probably could get away with once a year.

I have only owned robots and think they are great.. That said, it would be wise to have your PB install the plumbing for suction side vacuum port, controlled by a Jandy valve at the equipment pad, just in case the need should ever arise. The additional cost would be next to nothing, as it is not much more than a piece of pipe with a valve on one end.

I have the IC40 and it works great. In the middle of the summer I have to crank it up to about 60%. When I have to replace it I plan on getting the IC60, only because I can run it a lower percentage of output. In "theory" it should last longer. Not sure you know this already, but SWCG's don't produce chlorine whenever the water temperature falls below about 55 degrees. So in the winter, plan on manually adding Liquid Chlorine/Bleach.

Good job on getting the EasyTouch 8 as the ET4 (what I have) just does not have enough relays...

Suggest that you make sure the PB plumbs your bubblers and sheer descents on different Jandy valves at the equipment pad. You will want to have the ability to automatically turn them on and off. I say this because aeration will force your pH to increase. So after the newness wears off you'll want to shut one or both of them off when not enjoying your pool.

You don't really need an acid injector, but some people swear by them. I manually add Muriatic acid to my pool and only have to do it every two to six weeks depending the on the time of the year. The once advantage I see is that if you want to have your water features on all the time, the injector will help keep the pH increase in check.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for the quick replies. Good advice. Any input on recommended PB for SWG pools in my area.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Gacontreras View Post
    Thank you all for the quick replies. Good advice. Any input on recommended PB for SWG pools in my area.
    Here are some photos of our plan.
    IMG_0047.jpgIMG_0053.jpgIMG_0054.jpg

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Wow.

If I could start my pool over from scratch that is exactly what I would do. I'm specifically looking at the bench, sun shelf and enclosed spa.

I'll throw out a couple of things I don't think most people think about when building, just as something to chew on.

Returns and skimmers, I see you have 6/2. Good. Make sure they are placed strategically. Skimmers downwind, returns not leaving any dead spots.

Which way is west? Prime pool time is lunch to sunset. I have memorized the arc the sun travels in the afternoon, I know exactly when the overhead tree stops blocking it and the tree across from the pool starts. I know I have to move my chair over a little bit every hour. I''d sit where you are going to sit at 2-3 pm and imagine.

Unless you are planning on swimming year round, I hope you can stand on the spa to brush that wall. Otherwise you won't be able to get to it without getting in.

That's going to be a really nice pool.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

8. Back To Top    #8

Now THAT is a nice pool. Looks very well thought out! Something for everyone!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Gacontreras View Post
    I am also having a pool built in Cypress. We got quotes from 5 pool builders. I will send you a PM with the two I would recommend.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I finally got to your build thread! Wow! I love your plans - great size, great water features, love your design, and nice placement in the yard. Did you get a chance to contact any of the builders I sent? I'm curious to know who is still building in the Cypress area. I suspect the Grand Parkway new home developments may have kept several of them busy up north and northwest of us. Kara5050 from Cypress probably has a better line on the PB's to contact this year.

I agree with the others on going up a size on the filter and swcg if you can. And the robots are great!

Can't wait for dig day!!!
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir