Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Any suggestions?

I've been using TFP for over 2 years with absolutely no problems. Pool has been picture perfect the entire time and clear as glass. My current results are:

FC - 8ppm
pH - 7.3
CH - 240 ppm
TA - 50 ppm
CYA - 50ppm

Here's my problem. I had a little brown staining in my skimmer baskets most likely from some metals that may be in my fill water. No staining anywhere else. Being a little OCD, I saw someone on this forum used a couple of table spoons of Iron Out in each skimmer basket and then pumped it out of the skimmer area. I followed suit but instead of pumping it out, I let it run through the system. A day later I noticed in the deep end my pool has a slight green tint. Clear as glass but a green tint. The shallow end and hot tub still look clear. I pulled a sample and placed against white paper and looks clear. I suspect I have suspended my metals in the pool. Will it filter out or do I need to begin adding chemicals and counter the effect?

If I'm able to address this situation with something that is fine but I do not want additional problems to develop should I have an increase in FC or and adjustment in pH. I think I've seen some folks have cloudy or brown water when the chemicals gets a little out of balance. It seems they keep chasing a problem with more chemicals. If I can do something now and then be patient to allow it to filter out then fine. Otherwise, if a drain a refill is required then so be it I will bite the bullet and chalk this up to a valuable lesson learned.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Those are all typical iron problems. Stains tend to attach to plastic items first and plaster second. The Iron Out lifted the iron and precipitated it into the water giving the green tint. There is a chance that the iron will filter out into your filter. You can stuff paper towels or polyfill pillow stuffing in the skimmer basket to try to capture it and get it out of the pool. A partial drain and refill will likely help. Often, if there is a low level of iron in the fill water it will slowly build up over time to the point where it starts to stain. So, reducing the level of iron can reduce the likelihood of staining for a while. Or you can use a sequestrant.

More here, Pool School - Stains in Your Pool

It just got light out and my wife took some pictures. It looks fine now. My wife says a very slight green in the deep end but in the pictures I'm not seeing it. I may have dodged a huge bullet. I will try what you suggest but I also ordered new pool cartridge filters and plan on replacing them when they arrive just in case. If the originals looks fine after a little rinsing then I will just have a sparre set to swap out durinb by bi annual cleaning of the filter.

Pic2.jpgPic1.jpg

Thanks duraleigh. I agree but since I left the house today when it was dark I'm only seeing the same pictures I posted here. I will see for myself later today when I get home.

Let me tell I very upset last night when I saw it and thinking about it all night and then this morning when I first posted. I should have waited until daylight. I still will continue to monitor.

Thanks Dave, I was not aware of that. It explains how my last house/pool when I took
posession developed iron stains after I balanced the ph. It had been at 6.8 for god knows
how long prior to me buying the place.

And to add to espejo's tale, I too had recently had an incident with the green goblin in my pool.
it happened after adding 4ppm of chlorine for the first time this year...my least cost option
was replacing half the water for $ 20 and that did the trick in my case.

good to see your pool cleared up without having to do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.