Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! I have tried to repair this motor 3 times now. What is this noise?

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! I have tried to repair this motor 3 times now. What is this noise?

Hello all,

I have a hot tub that began to make a nose last season. After the summer shut down period I replaced the bearings in the motor and the spring loaded seal on the impeller housing. The motor has a loud noise that I can't figure out. See video link below. I tried to adjust the front bearing with a punch to keep it from spinning in the housing. Added a little grease to the rear bearing. I have disassembled and reassembled the motor a few times in attempt to figure it out. The noise use to come and go but now it's rather loud. It's not a hum and is not a capacitor because the motor is running. It is not a loud screech like a bad bearing. Just a drone noise.

See video here:

Hot tub noise - YouTube

I appreciate any help or suggestions!

It is a backyard spa with one 2 speed motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! I have tried to repair this motor 3 times now. What is this noise?

It could be the shaft is out of balance or missing mounting insulation/loose mounting fittings.
    Murrieta, CA. 15K (Est) pool/spa. Hayward Tristar SP3220EE 2.70HP pump, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter C4025 425sqft (PA106), Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. TF-100/Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help! I have tried to repair this motor 3 times now. What is this noise?

Does it have a fan/cover on the end? Maybe the cover got tweaked and the fan is now hitting it.