New remodel need chemistry help!!

yubakram

Bronze Supporter
Jul 15, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Hello TFP members,

Found this site during our remodel which just completed and water went in last night. Today the PB came by to start the pumps, filters and program the EasyTouch and ended up tossing two chlorine pucks into the skimmer.

My question on a Salt water pool start-up, according to PebbleTec instructions is to get the PH and Total Alkalinity under control and chlorine later and do not add salt or use SWG for 28 days.

PebbleTec Acceptable Start-up Range – First 28 Days:

pH 7.0-7.4
TOTAL ALKALINITY 70-90PPM
CALCIUM HARDNESS 150-250PPM
TOTAL DISSOLVED SOLIDS 400-600PPM
CHLORINE 1-3 PPM
CYA 20-80PPM

My Taylor K-2006 test readings

FC 13
CC 0
pH 8.0
TA 150
CH 10
CYA 0

I removed the chlorine pucks and looking for any advice on the best ways to get the pH and TA to the correct levels.

Thanks in advance.. also attached a few photos.

IMG_0652.jpg
IMG_0673.jpg
IMG_0694.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 30
Hey there new pool owner!! NICE pool!!!

As for your questions: You are going to need to follow the PB guidelines at first as he holds the warranty. Get some chlorine in there to protect against algae. Then because its newly done pebblesheen (don't forget to register it!) the pH will have a frequent tendency to rise. When it does (as it has since its now 8) bring it down with some muriatic acid (MA) to 7.2. PoolMath app at the top of the page will guide you on how much. When you lower your pH with MA, it also has a side benefit of lowering your TA too.

Just keep testing!

Oh, and lets get some CYA stabilizer in there too. Take it up to about 40ppm at first and once you go salt in a month you'll need to take it higher then.

Yip :flower:

addendum: Use either liquid chlorine (aka "bleach") or if you have some you can use those pucks in a proper floater, because they also add CYA. But it is harder to determine how much you can use them before they become problematic. Too much CYA is a PROBLEM!! Easier to add it independently of the chlorine when you're new to this.

Thanks Yip!

I will put back the chlorine pucks into the skimmer even though it goes against the PebbleTec recommended startup. To control the PH, TA and CYA the Pool Calc is showing that I need to add the following:
pH - 1/2 gal muriatic acid and that will lower the TA.
CYA - 1 gal of liquid stabilizer
CH - 1 1/2 gal of
calcium chloride

I assume the chlorine puck will slowly add some CYA. Chlorine is off the charts but will not worry about it.

Thanks Yip!

I will put back the chlorine pucks into the skimmer even though it goes against the PebbleTec recommended startup. To control the PH, TA and CYA the Pool Calc is showing that I need to add the following:
pH - 1/2 gal muriatic acid and that will lower the TA.
CYA - 1 gal of liquid stabilizer
CH - 1 1/2 gal of
calcium chloride

I assume the chlorine puck will slowly add some CYA. Chlorine is off the charts but will not worry about it.

Welcome to TFP! This is the place to gain the expertise to keep your pool sparkling clear. As yip said, follow the PB guidance for warranty purposes. Adding ½ gal of MA seems like a lot at once be careful not to add it in one slug! Lowering TA will take some time (days not minutes) so do not be fooled that simply dumping in ½ gal of MA will instantly lower the TA. You must lower pH to 7.0-7.2 to bring TA down a bit then slowly raise pH–via aeration–to proper range. You may have to lower the pH several times in order to get TA down to 70-90 range. Like it says on the shampoo bottle: "Lather, Rinse, Repeat." Here's a Pool School link to help:Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

One more thing, with FC over 10 pH readings are NOT accurate. Allow FC to drop below 10 before taking pH reading. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I see now your FC is 13, so don't go adding too much more- until you have CYA in there the chlorine will be much stronger as its unstabilized. Take those pucks out of the skimmer because when the pump turns off, that water in there will get super acidic from the pucks. WHen the pump again turns on that big blast of acidic water isn't desired hitting your pump gaskets and equipment. If you're ever going to use pucks put them in a proper floater.

You can use either liquid or granular CYA, the liquid is more pricey. I've started to use it more myself just for the ease.

Let your FC drop some... retest that pH before dealing with MA (Tuscontico is correct, the pH test gets skewed when FC >10) I'm sorry I didn't catch that earlier.

Don't forget to brush your new finish daily.

Yip :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.