Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acsorbic Acid Treatment - Opening Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Acsorbic Acid Treatment - Opening Pool

Hello,

So I've been reading this thread: https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...f-metal-stains

It states in there not to shock your pool for a couple weeks. Is there some flavor of this treatment I can use when I'm OPENING my pool? I figure I probably have a acidic 0 chlorine pool already; seemed like a good time to treat the iron stains.

Any ideas?
    42' natural free-form pool, vinyl lined, 6' deep end, 21,400 gallons
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Acsorbic Acid Treatment - Opening Pool

I would get your pool opened and balanced early. SLAM it if you have to cold and get it clear.

Then, and only then, do an AA treatment. The AA treatment moves the iron from solid form (stains) to dissolved ionic form. At that point I would drain off water and refill with fresh to maximize the removal of iron. Then slowly bring the water's FC back up.

Doing this in the early Spring when the water is cool will avoid a massive algae outbreak. Trying to do this type of treatment in the middle of the swim season is a lot harder.

Why does it have stains, are you on a well? If so, do you know how much iron is in your fill water?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Acsorbic Acid Treatment - Opening Pool

I am on a well, and its been filled w/ well water. I only started having the iron problems when I was dealing w/ a mustard algae issue last year; necessitating high CL. My pH drifted up to 7.6-7.8 and I started seeing my stairs turn tan. I have some vitamin 'C' tablets on order so I can hold one on the stairs to see if it clears as I expect it to.

I don't know my iron level. I believe it to be on the lower end as my sprinklers have been blasting my white shed for 2 years now and it is only faintly showing that orangeish stain.

Also b/c of scheduling issues my pool is scheduled to open June 2nd. So the spring/cool water thing might be out the window.
    42' natural free-form pool, vinyl lined, 6' deep end, 21,400 gallons
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit