Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Salt water Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Salt water Pool

So I'm on my 11th day of water in my new pool waiting for my 30 days to be done so I can add the salt. Iph has been going up over the last week from seven four two very close to 8.0 10 days later. The score professional said I should not worry about it too much until I add the salt as that will have an effect on it

Currently:
    Free Chlorine- .06
    PH- 8.0
    CYA-70
    ALK-100
    CH-110

Again I have added no salt yet as I'm waiting for the 30 day. To complete and the store personnel as noted that I should not worry about these readings that they're okay wait until the salt is added.

I'm thinking I should add some muriatic acid just to bring it down nobody swimming in it right now.

Thought I'd ask for some advice here thank you in advance.

Jedisparky

21,000 gal with 2000 gal Spa with spill over

Loc: So Cal Full Sunlight, IG 30'x15' Rectangle, 21,000gal w/ 2100gal Jac w/ Spillover
    (SWG) Pentair Intelli IC40, Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed UEE Pump
    Pentair Mastertemp 400 Pool and Spa Heater
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter CCP-420
    Intellibright 5G Color Pool and Spa Lights, Hayward Nav Pro Pool Vac, Taylor-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Salt water Pool

Wow, I typed that really bad, I don't see an edit button, sorry about that. Hope the point is clear enough. Looks like a great group to help me get my pool started. Thanks again.

Loc: So Cal Full Sunlight, IG 30'x15' Rectangle, 21,000gal w/ 2100gal Jac w/ Spillover
    Intellibright 5G Color Pool and Spa Lights, Hayward Nav Pro Pool Vac, Taylor-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome!

What does your PB have to say? Is he still managing startup, or are you on your own? Is there certain levels that need to be maintained for warranty compliance?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jedisparky View Post
    Wow, I typed that really bad, I don't see an edit button, sorry about that. Hope the point is clear enough. Looks like a great group to help me get my pool started. Thanks again.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
    Jed,

Just wanted to say Welcome to TFP... A Great place for those that can't type...

If typing and spelling skills were required, I would not be allowed to post anything...

I agree with Dom, unless your PB has turned the pool over to you, I would not do anything without talking with him first... The likelihood of you causing any damage is almost zero, but you don't want to give your PB any excuses.

If you have a good relationship with him, give him a call and tell him your concerns. If you do, we would be interested in his response.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

They pretty much turned it over to me but you do have a good point they will answer questions I'm sure the problem is he sub-contracted everything out and my startup guy is also a subcontractor he'd probably be the one I'll call I'll do that and see what he says.

6. Back To Top    #6

What kind of finish is it? If it is a pebble aggregate, I would make sure that you are following the manufacturer's instructions to be sure that you don't get scaling. Pebble-tec sends a specific set of instructions once you register the surface.
    15K Gal Gunite Pool, White Pebble Surface (unkown), Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, SunTouch automation, sta-rite plm100 filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR-15 SWG.

7. Back To Top    #7

Right that would help. White plaster. I spoke to the guy who did the startup he said he had a gallon of muriatic acid and a half gallon of chlorine so I believe that's what I will do.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP has a great resource called pool math, blindly pouring chemicals onto a curing plaster surface is probably not the way to go. I would put your current measurements and ideal measurements into the Pool Math calculator and then add what it says. The National Plasterer's Council has "startup cards" which tell you what your ideal chemistry is during curing.

Start-up Cards - National Plasterers Council
    15K Gal Gunite Pool, White Pebble Surface (unkown), Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, SunTouch automation, sta-rite plm100 filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR-15 SWG.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok , thx

10. Back To Top    #10

When you add Muriatic Acid, make sure to dilute it. If you want proof, just pour a little on your driveway or sidewalk. Be extremely careful with this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedisparky View Post
    Ok , thx

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes I've been doing a lot of studying online with how to add the chemicals and how to test the chemicals I have a really good test kit the Taylors and I will be super cautious I'm planning to do all my maintenance myself and places like this have really helped a lot

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

There is no need to dilute the muriatic acid first, simply slowly pour the MA in front of a running return & brush the area when you are done. Handling the MA twice will just increase your chances of splash/spill.

Whichever you do, it is most important that you remain upwind from the acid. The fumes are terrible.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Sounds great! Thank you very much.

14. Back To Top    #14

Hey guys, just a quick up date: my first time adding chemicals to my pool in an effort to maintenance and care for my new pool myself went very well. Thanks to you and this site, so much good info here. So I added a gallon of MA as well as a gallon of bleach, then the next day added 15lbs of Calcium while running the pump at high rpm's for good circulation. Here was my testing results:

Water Temp 69
    FC-1
    PH 7.6
    CYA 70
    ALK 80
    CH 270

And the water is sparkling blue! I'm around day 20 of my 30 days of plaster curing and pre-salt add. Then the learning curve begins with my InteliChlor IC40.

Feeling really good about my self maintenance routine, thanks again for the help and support. The help and support is much appreciated.

15. Back To Top    #15

Jed,

Please see this chart... https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...art-slam-shock

Your FC is waaaaay too low. The absolute lowest you every want your FC to be would be 3 ppm. If you look in the chart... with a CYA off 70, you want your FC to be around 5.

I always try to stay just above the target level, so I would be shooting for a normal FC of 6. This helps keep you from ever getting down to 3...

When you get a chance, please add your signature, it makes helping you easier...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok, Jim thanks. Ya, I should have stated that that was my low score, which I am aware. I plan on adding another gallon of Chlorine to bring that number up. I was using the Pool Pal calculator and it said 3 to 5. I was targeting 4 and was told if it's a little low it's okay because I haven't added my salt yet.
    I'm doing most of my contributing from my phone and unfortunately it won't let me type a signature from my phone. As soon as I get to my laptop I will post everything for my pool including equipment. Thanks again for all your input and help.

17. Back To Top    #17

Also it's seems the more I read the more I find some different info. I read this on the the forum under SWG: "
    Adjust Calcium Hardness to 350 ppm for plaster and 220 ppm for fiberglass. Vinyl pools are OK if the CH is at 50 ppm or higher. In any case it should not be much above 400 ppm or you are going to have to keep close watch on your pH to prevent scale buildup. Sometimes your fill water will have high calcium levels so your numbers are higher than recommended"
    So I was happy to get my CH to 270 and now I see I want to be @ 400!?!? Wow! That's a lot. Our water is VERY soft here, and with a new plaster pool is 270 really low? Should I really be looking for 400?
    Thanks in advance.

18. Back To Top    #18

Actually I meant should my target really be 350

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

What is the CH of your fill water?

270 should be fine - depending on how much CH is in your fill water, that number should generally go up as water evaporates from the pool over time and is replaced with more tap water.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

20. Back To Top    #20

Out of the hose it measured under 10 PPM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast