Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much salt?

I just got a taylor k-1766 sodium chlorine test kit and my salt reads 4,000. Is this too high for my swg Hayward T-cell-15 to work correctly?
    30,000 Gal, IG, Gunite, Spa, Aqua Logic, Jandy CL 580 Cartridge, Jandy LX Gas Heater, FAS-DPD, T-Cell-15 SWG, Polaris 280.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much salt?

Depends on water temperature. If the temperature is high, then it will be a problem. If the temperature is low, probably not a problem. It goes by amps, if the amps are below 8.0, you’re good.

What are the readings in diagnostics for salinity, amps and water temperature?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

56 degrees, 5.16 amps. T-cell-15 reads 3600ppm, my test kit read 4,000. Which is more accurate?
    30,000 Gal, IG, Gunite, Spa, Aqua Logic, Jandy CL 580 Cartridge, Jandy LX Gas Heater, FAS-DPD, T-Cell-15 SWG, Polaris 280.

4. Back To Top    #4

The test kit is more accurate but, if the SWG is happy and making chlorine it's all good.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

You’re fine with those readings.

If you heat to over about 90 F, you might hit 8 amps. Allow the salinity to drift down over time so that as the water gets warm, you won’t have an issue.

Also note that salt tests are not super accurate. Your readings are close enough to each other to be in agreement within the accuracy of the tests.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you!