Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intermatic timer won't turn on

1. Back To Top    #1

Intermatic timer won't turn on

Hi,
    I know almost nothing about pool maintenance. When we got this house, the pump timer was working.
    I adjusted the tripper on/off several times and recently it has not been turning on.
    I don't know what I did.

Visual check indicates that the motor is running.
    Tripper on and off are securely "installed" with pliers.
    Moving manual lever to ON does nothing. It used to work before.

Any idea?

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intermatic timer won't turn on

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like a circuit breaker is tripped. The timer should be connected to a circuit breaker either in a panel near the pool equipment or a circuit breaker in your main breaker panel for the house.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks.
    I will check.

But the motor is moving -- won't that mean it still has electricity?
    Edit: Maybe when it trips to "ON" it calls the pump to turn on but can't because the pump has no electricity (because of circuit breaker tripped)?

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, yes, it does. I missed that. If the clock face is rotating then it still has electricity. You'll need to test the line in voltage and the load voltage to make sure it is still receiving and passing voltage to the pump. If it is then you need a new pump, if not then you need a new timer.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I have had these intermatic timers go bad on me twice. The internals apparently do wear out.
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, stuff can only spin in circles 24x7 for so long.
    TFP Moderator