Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter closing questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter closing questions

I'm really sorry if this is all stupid questions, but I never owned a pool. this will be our first.

I plan on using a SWG.

I know it won't be running in the winter when the pool is closed. When the pool is closed though is one still testing at various times in the winter? I mean what keep the water stable enough so in the spring when the pool is opened again i don't have scaling or other issues?

I plan on having a pro close my pool and would assume they know what they are doing but I want to understand everything for myself also.

thanks and very sorry if this is a stupid question.

I have been reading for an hour now re: all the chemical levels and what i used to changes various levels and i feel so overwhelmed. I fell like I am going to be adding diff chemicals al the time time even if I use a SWG.

But that's a whole other story till I understand everything.

jim

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Winter closing questions

When you close your pool for the winter, you generally don't need to test until spring. Closing in NEPA means the pump, plumbing etc are not in use. Here's some good reading. Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Winter closing questions

I read that the other day. I just didn't know because I will have plaster that if I have to be worrying about scale and other issues in the winter. So once they get my levels to where the article says they stay pretty constant over the whole winter?

Is having salt vs other methods to chlorinate the pool have any diff effect on the plaster int he winter?