Black Olive Tree

nma

Feb 23, 2017
Miami
Hello, I am new to this forum and currently in the process of getting an inground pool with a salt system. I have a black olive tree that I was told should be removed because its leaves will stain the pool and I will be spending all my time cleaning rather than swimming. The trunk is about 6 to 8 feet from where one of the corners of the shallow end will be. The tree provides shade which we need in Miami. This tree does not bear fruit but it does drop leaves.
Should this tree be removed? If so, any suggestions on replacement?
Thank you

Re: landscaping ... black olive tree

See here - http://www.entnemdept.ufl.edu/pestalert/bucida_staining_caterpillars_mites.pdf

Unless you're really in love with the tree, having it anywhere near the pool sounds like a bad idea.

- - - Updated - - -

On a personal note, I had a mesquite tree near my pool that offered some shade. It also created a lot of leaf debris & mess. It was gotten rid of last year and my pool care went from emptying a leaf canister and skimmer daily when it would drop stuff, to barely cleaning them out once per week. So trees do have huge impact on pool care.

Re: landscaping ... black olive tree

On a personal note, I had a mesquite tree near my pool that offered some shade. It also created a lot of leaf debris & mess. It was gotten rid of last year and my pool care went from emptying a leaf canister and skimmer daily when it would drop stuff, to barely cleaning them out once per week. So trees do have huge impact on pool care.

I had to do the same thing - chainsawed that spiky mesquite that was partially overhanging my spa and pool. I miss the shade, but it was COMPLETELY worth it in not having my filter and skimmer (even with a hairnet) clogged up constantly.

nma - I'd remove the tree if it was me. You can ask a local grower about having something else put in its place that is pool-friendly. There may be some good low-litter options for you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.