Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black Olive Tree

1. Back To Top    #1

Black Olive Tree

Hello, I am new to this forum and currently in the process of getting an inground pool with a salt system. I have a black olive tree that I was told should be removed because its leaves will stain the pool and I will be spending all my time cleaning rather than swimming. The trunk is about 6 to 8 feet from where one of the corners of the shallow end will be. The tree provides shade which we need in Miami. This tree does not bear fruit but it does drop leaves.
    Should this tree be removed? If so, any suggestions on replacement?
    Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: landscaping ... black olive tree

See here - http://www.entnemdept.ufl.edu/pestal...lars_mites.pdf

Unless you're really in love with the tree, having it anywhere near the pool sounds like a bad idea.

- - - Updated - - -

On a personal note, I had a mesquite tree near my pool that offered some shade. It also created a lot of leaf debris & mess. It was gotten rid of last year and my pool care went from emptying a leaf canister and skimmer daily when it would drop stuff, to barely cleaning them out once per week. So trees do have huge impact on pool care.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: landscaping ... black olive tree

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    On a personal note, I had a mesquite tree near my pool that offered some shade. It also created a lot of leaf debris & mess. It was gotten rid of last year and my pool care went from emptying a leaf canister and skimmer daily when it would drop stuff, to barely cleaning them out once per week. So trees do have huge impact on pool care.
    I had to do the same thing - chainsawed that spiky mesquite that was partially overhanging my spa and pool. I miss the shade, but it was COMPLETELY worth it in not having my filter and skimmer (even with a hairnet) clogged up constantly.

nma - I'd remove the tree if it was me. You can ask a local grower about having something else put in its place that is pool-friendly. There may be some good low-litter options for you!
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D