Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fiberstars 6008 keeps tripping gfci

1. Back To Top    #1

Fiberstars 6008 keeps tripping gfci

When I turn on my pool lights it immediately trips the gfci
    I opened the fiberstars and blew out all the crud that was in there but no luck... any inputs?...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fiberstars 6008 keeps tripping gfci

Sunny,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your pool related questions...

Well, I know nothing about the Fiberstars system, but the first thing I would do is to remove the bulb and try it again. If the GFCI does not pop with the bulb removed then it is the most likely cause.

If the GFCI pops with the bulb removed then I'd be looking at the wiring or inside a junction box if you have one.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Remember a gfci is ground fault. It only takes one wire grounded and not shorted. Gfci trip with milliamperes difference between hot and neutral so looking for arc marks or burnt areas won't find the problem. You have to look at all connections and if you don't find the issue you have to look at the entire wire through the system
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

4. Back To Top    #4

Since it's a FiberStar system, all the electrical parts are in the light box head. I think those lamps are metal halide, so they have a ballast. It could be as simple as moisture getting into the box, or it could be the ballast going bad.

Turn the power off and open the box. Don't touch the lamp with your hands. You don't wan to get oils on the lamp.

Look for any moisture in the box and on any electrical equipment in the box. If you find any moisture, dry it off and close the box and try it again.
    If you don't find any evidence of moisture, you may need to troubleshoot it. There is a troubleshooting guide in the manual. If you don't have one, you can download one for it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks you guys for all your responses... I have opened the box and haven't seen any obvious moisture and will def try taking out the bulb and turning the unit on

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok so took out the bulb and turned it on and fan kicked on and didn't trip the gfci... so it was the bulb... just ordered a new one. Thanks for your guys help! Greatly appreciated!!!