Best route.

Mar 5, 2017
Floresville, Tx
Hello. My family was given a 33' diameter pool with about 30000 gallon capacity. I had a small pool on the salt system and had zero problems but with a pool 5 times more water. What is the best and easiest system to go with? Chlorine or salt? I don't know much to balance pool but I started reading a bit on here. Any advice is good advice. I might be a bit overwhelmed with the size. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: When it comes to chlorine, just remember .... regular bleach = (FC) chlorine; and a SWG is the same only in an automated fashion. The SWG converts salt into FC (chlorine) in an automated fashion so you don't have to pour a gallon of bleach in the water every day or two which many pool owners find very convenient. Either way does the same thing by increasing FC to sanitize your water. Whichever way you chose to add chlorine (manually via bleach versus an automated SWG) is really a personal choice. SWGs come in different cell size ratings (i.e T-15, T-30, etc), so keep that in mind if you do decide to insert a SWG into your equipment. Most advise going with a higher cell capacity. Great to have you with us at TFP.

Actually, a larger body of water is more forgiving when trying to balance than a smaller body of water. If you had no problems with the smaller pool, then you should have no problems with this larger pool. You were comfortable with the SWG last time, then it shouldn't be any different now. Only difference is, you'll use more additives than previously and more time vacuuming.

If you're not always there to check the chlorine level, then a SWG is good. If you don't mind adding liquid chlorine everyday, then bleach is the way to go.

Thanks for the quick response. If I were to use the bleach and go that route how much trouble is start up. I have had water in the pool and have only had chlorine tablets in it all winter. I am just at a blank as where to begin. How hard it the Bbb method in that large of a pool?

Thanks for the quick response. If I were to use the bleach and go that route how much trouble is start up. I have had water in the pool and have only had chlorine tablets in it all winter. I am just at a blank as where to begin. How hard it the Bbb method in that large of a pool?

BBB is the EASIEST method for a pool. If you've had tablets all winter, your CYA should be up to testing levels now. Ditch the tabs and start with liquid chlorine. Test daily, or bring it higher and test every other day. What is your CYA at now? Do you have a TFtest kit yet?

TFPC is not hard at all and MUCH easier on your checkbook. I definitely recommend you review the links below in my signature for vital info. Bleach is very easy to use. If you had tabs in all winter, that would explain "some" CYA because tabs have stabilizer in them. Adding bleach is easy. I use HEB's regular Bravo bleach, but Wal-Mart's Great Value works just as well. They key is having the TF-100 test kit which includes the FAS-DPD testing for FC accuracy so you know exactly how much bleach to add. No guesswork - that's priority #1.

To ensure an accurate start-up and adjustment of chemicals, please post a full set of test results from a TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) test kit as soon as you can. We'll be happy to help. The TF-100 link is below as well if you don't already have one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.