choosing ( or not) a vs pump and robot

Nov 9, 2014
concord,ca
Hello everyone

This is my first time asking a question.
I've spent a lot of time reading posts and the pool school articles, but I need help.
We live in California and are always reaching tier 3 rates, currently $.40/kwh.
We have three pumps on the pad.
1.) a 3/4 hp 230vac booster pump for our Polaris 380 cleaner
2.) a 1.5 hp 230vac pump for the spa
3.) a 1.0 hp 230vac pump for circulation. As best as I can tell its a Hayward sp3020ee
the circulation pump pushes water through a solar panel array on the second story, a cartridge filter, a gas heater and a swg.
I'm running the main pump for 5hrs/day and the booster for 3 hrs/day.
the circ. pump draws 6.8 amps and the booster 6.2 amps.
So with the math I estimate the pumps are costing us $90.00 and $50.00 /month respectively.
I'm thinking of replacing the circulation. pump with a vs and eliminating the booster with a robot.
Does this seem like a reasonable thought.
We're going to be here awhile, so I'm okay with it taking a couple of years to make sense financially.
Any thoughts from those more experienced than myself would be greatly appreciated.

Barry

Yes, sounds like a plan. I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm for skimming, filtering and making chlorine with the SWG. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. I bought this robot last year and it is great. Works much better than my Pentair Legend II pressure cleaner. First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery. There is also more about my robot in my pool thread, link in sig.

A Pentair Superflo 1-1/2hp VS pump or the Hayward Maxflo VS pump would be a good choice.

Barry,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool related questions... :shark:

Well, as a comparison I run my VS Intelliflo, 24/7, at 1,200 RPM, for less than $20 per month. Not a one to one comparison as my electrical rates are closer to only 10 cents/kwh..

I am not a fan of pressure side cleaners and like my Robot. I usually only run my it once or twice a week.

Here is an interesting Robot thread... https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/120447-First-Robotic-Cleaner-Doheny-s-Discovery

If I had to start all over today, the first two things that I would do is to install a variable speed pump, SWCG, and Robot. Ok, so that is three things... :D

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Good morning

Thank you for responding. I've ordered a robot already.
I read on another thread that vs pump may not work with solar panels at 25ft elevation.
Can I set the vs pump for high speed just long enough to prime the panels and then reduce it
to a speed just fast enough for circulation, or will the panels lose their prime ( something to do with a vacuum release ?)
Thank you again

Barry

An Intelliflo VS pump is 3hp and can supply the panels with no problem. Solar panels are supposed to drain each time they are turned off. This is accomplished by the VRV (vacuum release valve) and the 3way solar valve which has a pinhole and a flapper valve that allows the panels to drain. My Pentair Solartouch has a solar hold setting and I'm not sure if it has a ramp up setting to run at first. My panels are not very high so I have not needed to figure those things out. I doubt that you would need it anyway with the 3hp Intelliflo, it shouldn't have a problem filling the panels. It can flow 50pgm at 75 feet of head at 3110 rpm and 50gpm at 95 feet of head at 3450 rpm. And the great thing about VS pumps is you can tweak them to get the flow you want. I run my pump at 1950 rpm when solar is on and it uses about 550 watts of electricity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.