Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool Thermometers

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Thermometers

Happy Friday!

I searched pool thermometer threads but everything was really old.

Does anyone have a certain brand or type of thermometer that they really like and have found to be accurate?

Do I need to buy the expensive pool store one or will a Walmart type do?

Thanks!
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Thermometers

I'm happy with a simple pool thermometer that I hang from a small piece of pool noodle. Cheap and replaced as needed. I don't need anything fancier.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool. I was thinking they would float? But I can rig something up if needed.

4. Back To Top    #4

Great question. I was looking at a wifi one and was wondering if that would be a waste of money. Good to know simple is good and much cheaper!
    16k Gallon, IG Vinyl, 16 x 34 x 25 Lagoon. Pentair Intelliflo VS2, ScreenLogic 2, Pentair Sand Filter, Colorlogic LEDs, TF-100, Speedstir, Pentair 920 Prowler (Rosie), and all wine is fine.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

My omnilogic app shows the water temp when the pump is running. Is this not sufficient or not accurate? I never thought I needed anything else. Am I wrong?
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

6. Back To Top    #6

Nini,

I would think your equipment with the app would be super accurate. I just don't have any automation so I'm gonna have to do it old school. I saw a thermometer on amazon for $5 and then today I was in the pool store while looking at robots and saw theirs were $20. I'll probably just get the amazon type and see how that does.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Crystal

7. Back To Top    #7

Accurite from Home Depot. Look at this thread Pool and Spa Thermometer with wireless Temperature Sensor
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

8. Back To Top    #8

That's perfect, and there are floating varieties if you prefer that as well. Nursenini, yours is perfect, and accurate unless you have a need to know your water temp when the pump is off. Unless you run a heater/solar a lot or use your solar cover every night, the pool temp won't be far away from your daily average temperature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr View Post
    Accurite from Home Depot. Look at this thread Pool and Spa Thermometer with wireless Temperature Sensor
    I had two of these and nothing but trouble with leaks and signal loss. Unless they have made marked improvements, I would not suggest on of those to anyone.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Patrick_b they have improved over the years, yes back in 2009 there were some issues and even today there may be some issues too but I take care of mine like when not in use over the winter I put it in a safe dry place and remove the batteries. If you keep your receipt HD will exchange it for a new one if it breaks. Just my 2 cents.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the replies. These are all great options. I will check into each one and find my solution!

Five days to pool day. I want to get my water warm ASAP!

Crystal
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr View Post
    This one goes for about $29 at HD, but understand they don't last. I have gone through 3 of them, the longest lasting made it through a whole swim season. The other two did not make it that long. If you buy is be sure to keep the packaging and receipt so you are ready to return it......
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Crystal View Post
    Cool. I was thinking they would float? But I can rig something up if needed.
    yeah, they sort of float if you hook them up that way. I put mine on a small piece of pool noodle so it will actually be about a foot below the surface of the water. Very low tech yet works a charm.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

13. Back To Top    #13

I went through 3 of the Acurite wireless thermometers from Home Depot; all of them got water in the unit and failed within a few months (the first one I was able to exchange for free). A lot of reviews said similar, and I even took the 3rd one apart and added a lot of sealant as one review suggested.

I replaced it with this set:

Ambient Weather WS-14 Wireless 8-Channel Floating Pool and Spa Thermometer

Which has been in the pool for 9 months so far through all seasons; we'll see how it lasts. As others have said, maybe it's best to just consider a consumable item and plan to replace every season (but I'm not willing to replace 3-4x/year). It seems to have a better gasket design and method to ensure it's tightened properly, and uses a dessicant pack inside.

I actually like the features on this better than the Acurite because it's part of a line with different sensors and display choices (ones that show more outdoor temps together, etc). This particular one shows the ambient air temperature (the "indoor" temp although I have it outside by the pool) and max/min with a nice feature -- you can set it to automatically clear the max/min at midnight. I like to glance at the temps at the end of a day and see how warm/cool the water got without having to remember to reset them like most (was it down to 72 this morning or 4 weeks ago?
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

14. Back To Top    #14

I don't leave mine in the water as I found ALGAE in it one day!!! Out it came! Now I only put it in when I want/need to know my temp.

Of course I got a cute one!

1700 | Derby Dolphin Thermometer

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    I don't leave mine in the water as I found ALGAE in it one day!!! Blech! I've never seen any in mine, and after reading about yours I do check it...but it remains in the water 24/7

Of course I got a cute one! LOL, of *course* you did!

1700 | Derby Dolphin Thermometer I love the shark.

Kim
    Yippee

16. Back To Top    #16

We bought ours a couple of years ago when we were walking through academy sports. Its a floating theremometer and it wasn't expensive. I've also seen them on the shelf at home depot and lowes. I keep mine in the pool year round since it doesn't freeze here.
    I live in Arlington TX. It is a in ground plaster pool approx 25,000 gallons. It has a Nautilus NS DE filter with a 1 1/2 hp starite pump. It has a pool cleaner brand suction style pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I got an $8 floating one from Leslies. Over the first 6 months the lanyard rotted and finally broke one too many times, so now I let it float in my skimmer. Then the floaty top popped off, and the body and thermometer sank (luckily the thermometer didn't break - it's glass). I superglued it back together and now it resides in my skimmer.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

18. Back To Top    #18

Too Cute!

- - - Updated - - -

All great options and ideas! I'm probably just going to keep it simple for now since I will be overwhelmed just taking over the pool in a few days. I will hit up the hardware store or Walmart Wednesday night and get something to start with. I may upgrade to the electronic at some point though.
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir

19. Back To Top    #19

Crystal,

I am going to add to your pool shopping list:

-2 plastic measuring cups-one is for muriatic acid ONLY and the other one is for all other stuff. Get the 2 cup ones.

-white plastic plate to hold up behind some of the tests to help with color matching. Some people use paper plates.

-a condiment bottle to collect your water sample in. The top is great for squirting the water into the test tubes.

-a toothbrush for your pool LOL to help clean around thinks like the skimmer face and returns

-a small note book to log your test results in. There is an online one but I like paper and pen. It is up to you. I make note of big weather events as well.

What time is your closing on Thursday?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jmastron View Post
    Thanks, it's Amazon Prime eligible and I've already ordered it!
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast