Pool Thermometers

Paul & Crystal

Silver Supporter
May 25, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
Happy Friday!

I searched pool thermometer threads but everything was really old.

Does anyone have a certain brand or type of thermometer that they really like and have found to be accurate?

Do I need to buy the expensive pool store one or will a Walmart type do?

Thanks!

Nini,

I would think your equipment with the app would be super accurate. I just don't have any automation so I'm gonna have to do it old school. I saw a thermometer on amazon for $5 and then today I was in the pool store while looking at robots and saw theirs were $20. I'll probably just get the amazon type and see how that does.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Crystal

That's perfect, and there are floating varieties if you prefer that as well. Nursenini, yours is perfect, and accurate unless you have a need to know your water temp when the pump is off. Unless you run a heater/solar a lot or use your solar cover every night, the pool temp won't be far away from your daily average temperature.

- - - Updated - - -

I had two of these and nothing but trouble with leaks and signal loss. Unless they have made marked improvements, I would not suggest on of those to anyone.

Patrick_b they have improved over the years, yes back in 2009 there were some issues and even today there may be some issues too but I take care of mine like when not in use over the winter I put it in a safe dry place and remove the batteries. If you keep your receipt HD will exchange it for a new one if it breaks. Just my 2 cents.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went through 3 of the Acurite wireless thermometers from Home Depot; all of them got water in the unit and failed within a few months (the first one I was able to exchange for free). A lot of reviews said similar, and I even took the 3rd one apart and added a lot of sealant as one review suggested.

I replaced it with this set:

Ambient Weather WS-14 Wireless 8-Channel Floating Pool and Spa Thermometer

Which has been in the pool for 9 months so far through all seasons; we'll see how it lasts. As others have said, maybe it's best to just consider a consumable item and plan to replace every season (but I'm not willing to replace 3-4x/year). It seems to have a better gasket design and method to ensure it's tightened properly, and uses a dessicant pack inside.

I actually like the features on this better than the Acurite because it's part of a line with different sensors and display choices (ones that show more outdoor temps together, etc). This particular one shows the ambient air temperature (the "indoor" temp although I have it outside by the pool) and max/min with a nice feature -- you can set it to automatically clear the max/min at midnight. I like to glance at the temps at the end of a day and see how warm/cool the water got without having to remember to reset them like most (was it down to 72 this morning or 4 weeks ago? :)

We bought ours a couple of years ago when we were walking through academy sports. Its a floating theremometer and it wasn't expensive. I've also seen them on the shelf at home depot and lowes. I keep mine in the pool year round since it doesn't freeze here.

I got an $8 floating one from Leslies. Over the first 6 months the lanyard rotted and finally broke one too many times, so now I let it float in my skimmer. Then the floaty top popped off, and the body and thermometer sank (luckily the thermometer didn't break - it's glass). I superglued it back together and now it resides in my skimmer. :cool:

Too Cute!

- - - Updated - - -

All great options and ideas! I'm probably just going to keep it simple for now since I will be overwhelmed just taking over the pool in a few days. I will hit up the hardware store or Walmart Wednesday night and get something to start with. I may upgrade to the electronic at some point though.

Crystal,

I am going to add to your pool shopping list:

-2 plastic measuring cups-one is for muriatic acid ONLY and the other one is for all other stuff. Get the 2 cup ones.

-white plastic plate to hold up behind some of the tests to help with color matching. Some people use paper plates.

-a condiment bottle to collect your water sample in. The top is great for squirting the water into the test tubes.

-a toothbrush for your pool LOL to help clean around thinks like the skimmer face and returns

-a small note book to log your test results in. There is an online one but I like paper and pen. It is up to you. I make note of big weather events as well.

What time is your closing on Thursday?

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.