Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae?

I noticed my pool was a little cloudy today, I brushed the surface and saw green come up behind the brush.

So I pulled out my Taylor K-2006 and here is what I got

FC 4.0
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.6
    TA 115
    CH 210
    CYA 70
    NaCl 3200

Temp 82F

The pool wasn't "green" but a little off color. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    15K Gal Gunite Pool, White Pebble Surface (unkown), Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, SunTouch automation, sta-rite plm100 filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR-15 SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae?

Hi, it definitely sounds like algae, but sounds like you have caught it early
    I would drop your ph to 7.2 and begin the SLAM
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I've read about SLAMing a few times, not sure what my endpoint would be if I don't have any combined chlorine?

Quote Originally Posted by Caco View Post
    Hi, it definitely sounds like algae, but sounds like you have caught it early
    I would drop your ph to 7.2 and begin the SLAM
    15K Gal Gunite Pool, White Pebble Surface (unkown), Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, SunTouch automation, sta-rite plm100 filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR-15 SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

End point is no overnight loss of FC, maintain 0 CC, and clear water.
    As you kill algae, you may develop some CC, maintain slam levels until these return to 0 and water clear
    Remember to run pump/filter 24/7 during this time, and clean filter as needed.
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

5. Back To Top    #5

^^ Exactly ^^

You caught it fairly early, so now it's time to maintain that FC at the proper SLAM level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

pH lowered, adding bleach in an hour. I'm trying to figure out how algae got started when I've kept a FC of 4.0 and a CYA of 65-70 with a SWCG.

7. Back To Top    #7

Could it be pollen??

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

8. Back To Top    #8

My neighbor just had a huge oak tree trimmed, and one removed. My pump strainer and skimmer basket were full of the little pollen pods. I wonder if that's why?

9. Back To Top    #9

Sometimes even the best-maintained pools encounter a period of unexplained stress, or develop a "haze" that tells you as the owner ..."Something's not right". You show your CYA as 65-70, so normally we round-up which would require an ideal target FC of 5. You tested it at 4 earlier which is still within the acceptable range, but if any some point(s) it dropped lower (closer to 3), that could've been the problem. If the CYA was actually closer to 65 or 60, then we know that's a bit low which would cause stress on the remaining FC in the water.

But again, even when testing is 100% accurate, there are rare occasions where water might take-on some stress from environmental factors and it shows (lack of clarity, green/dusty clouds after brushing, dropping FC, etc). At least you had the awareness to know something wasn't right, and you have the tools (testing & bleach) to get back on-track as soon as possible. If you still have concerns about pollen versus algae, you could still increase FC a little to conduct an overnight (OCLT) before continuing. Maybe bump the FC up to about 7-8 just to get a good overnight comparison.

Along with the plumes of green, it's the haziness that concerns me. Either way, let us know how it develops and what you find out.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

And the kids have been going in there everyday since the water temp got over 78. An 8 year old and 4 year old, not to mention the 40 year old kid with a beverage on the deck. The bather load may have tipped the scale, I'm keeping an Excel spreadsheet of SWCG % and run time as well as my chemistry readings.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Sometimes even the best-maintained pools encounter a period of unexplained stress, or develop a "haze" that tells you as the owner ..."Something's not right". You show your CYA as 65-70, so normally we round-up which would require an ideal target FC of 5. You tested it at 4 earlier which is still within the acceptable range, but if any some point(s) it dropped lower (closer to 3), that could've been the problem. If the CYA was actually closer to 65 or 60, then we know that's a bit low which would cause stress on the remaining FC in the water.

But again, even when testing is 100% accurate, there are rare occasions where water might take-on some stress from environmental factors and it shows (lack of clarity, green/dusty clouds after brushing, dropping FC, etc). At least you had the awareness to know something wasn't right, and you have the tools (testing & bleach) to get back on-track as soon as possible. If you still have concerns about pollen versus algae, you could still increase FC a little to conduct an overnight (OCLT) before continuing. Maybe bump the FC up to about 7-8 just to get a good overnight comparison.

Along with the plumes of green, it's the haziness that concerns me. Either way, let us know how it develops and what you find out.

11. Back To Top    #11

I had the same thing happen this morning. We have had very high winds in my area, especially overnight. I tested my pool this morning, FC 3.5, CC barely there. I am running my SWG at Superchlorinate just in case, but I also wondered at the pool being filled with pollen. It is beautifully clear but slightly green. This can indicate copper, but I haven't put anything in the pool that contains copper. So, I'm crossing my fingers it is pollen. The pool is still 55 degrees, so it is hard to imagine I'm getting an algea bloom.
    CITY: Fayetteville, NC POOL: 20x40, approx. 33000 ga, IG, Vinyl, Hayward SwimClear C3030, Hayward Max-Flo 2302VSP, Hayward T-Cell-15, Hayward ProLogic Plus 4 controller (not incredibly useful because the pump won't work with it and we don't have anything else for it to control), well water

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Good to see that the OP knew something was off, and is nipping this in the bud.

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    I had the same thing happen this morning. We have had very high winds in my area, especially overnight. I tested my pool this morning, FC 3.5, CC barely there. I am running my SWG at Superchlorinate just in case, but I also wondered at the pool being filled with pollen. It is beautifully clear but slightly green. This can indicate copper, but I haven't put anything in the pool that contains copper. So, I'm crossing my fingers it is pollen. The pool is still 55 degrees, so it is hard to imagine I'm getting an algea bloom.
    Crystal clear water with a green tint to it may be iron, the yellow of the iron against a blue liner will look green.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok,
    I tested this morning
    FC: 18.5
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.8 (I adjusted before to 7.2, should I adjust this during the SLAM?)

Thanks!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by PebblePool View Post
    Ok,
    I tested this morning
    FC: 18.5
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.8 (I adjusted before to 7.2, should I adjust this during the SLAM?)

Thanks!
    The pH will read falsely High with a FC <10ppm. Just concentrate on Maintaining that FC, & brush, brush, brush!
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes, added more bleach to get the FC up, and brushed entire pool. Circulation system still running. Off to get more bleach.

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes, added more bleach to get the FC up, and brushed entire pool. Circulation system still running. Off to get more bleach.
    how much bleach?

shock level for CYA 70 is FC 28.0
    25,000L / IG / Pebble / Zodiac C170 SWG / Waterco CC75 Cartridge Filter / Hurlcon CX 240 Pump
    G'day from Sydney, Australia

17. Back To Top    #17

Crystal clear, this is the first time I've done it without powdered shock. Much better result, Thanks!

Bleach, bleach, bleach, brush, brush, brush (repeat)

18. Back To Top    #18

Crystal clear, this is the first time I've done it without powdered shock. Much better result, Thanks!

Bleach, bleach, bleach, brush, brush, brush (repeat)
    Yay!! Well done! It probably looks better than ever too, huh?
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

19. Back To Top    #19

It was re-finished back in November, but it looks just AS GOOD as it did after the first chlorination post-resurface. My FC is 17 right now, I'm hoping to swim in it on Sunday afternoon, not sure what the FC will be then. It is pretty sunny in Florida this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Yay!! Well done! It probably looks better than ever too, huh?