Algae?

PebblePool

Nov 21, 2016
Melbourne, FL
I noticed my pool was a little cloudy today, I brushed the surface and saw green come up behind the brush. :-(

So I pulled out my Taylor K-2006 and here is what I got

FC 4.0
CC 0.0
pH 7.6
TA 115
CH 210
CYA 70
NaCl 3200

Temp 82F

The pool wasn't "green" but a little off color. Any ideas?

Thanks!

madwil

May 2, 2011
lebanon tn
End point is no overnight loss of FC, maintain 0 CC, and clear water.
As you kill algae, you may develop some CC, maintain slam levels until these return to 0 and water clear
Remember to run pump/filter 24/7 during this time, and clean filter as needed.

PebblePool

Nov 21, 2016
Melbourne, FL
pH lowered, adding bleach in an hour. I'm trying to figure out how algae got started when I've kept a FC of 4.0 and a CYA of 65-70 with a SWCG.

PebblePool

Nov 21, 2016
Melbourne, FL
My neighbor just had a huge oak tree trimmed, and one removed. My pump strainer and skimmer basket were full of the little pollen pods. I wonder if that's why?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Sometimes even the best-maintained pools encounter a period of unexplained stress, or develop a "haze" that tells you as the owner ..."Something's not right". You show your CYA as 65-70, so normally we round-up which would require an ideal target FC of 5. You tested it at 4 earlier which is still within the acceptable range, but if any some point(s) it dropped lower (closer to 3), that could've been the problem. If the CYA was actually closer to 65 or 60, then we know that's a bit low which would cause stress on the remaining FC in the water.

But again, even when testing is 100% accurate, there are rare occasions where water might take-on some stress from environmental factors and it shows (lack of clarity, green/dusty clouds after brushing, dropping FC, etc). At least you had the awareness to know something wasn't right, and you have the tools (testing & bleach) to get back on-track as soon as possible. If you still have concerns about pollen versus algae, you could still increase FC a little to conduct an overnight (OCLT) before continuing. Maybe bump the FC up to about 7-8 just to get a good overnight comparison.

Along with the plumes of green, it's the haziness that concerns me. Either way, let us know how it develops and what you find out.

PebblePool

Nov 21, 2016
Melbourne, FL
And the kids have been going in there everyday since the water temp got over 78. An 8 year old and 4 year old, not to mention the 40 year old kid with a beverage on the deck. The bather load may have tipped the scale, I'm keeping an Excel spreadsheet of SWCG % and run time as well as my chemistry readings.

Sometimes even the best-maintained pools encounter a period of unexplained stress, or develop a "haze" that tells you as the owner ..."Something's not right". You show your CYA as 65-70, so normally we round-up which would require an ideal target FC of 5. You tested it at 4 earlier which is still within the acceptable range, but if any some point(s) it dropped lower (closer to 3), that could've been the problem. If the CYA was actually closer to 65 or 60, then we know that's a bit low which would cause stress on the remaining FC in the water.

But again, even when testing is 100% accurate, there are rare occasions where water might take-on some stress from environmental factors and it shows (lack of clarity, green/dusty clouds after brushing, dropping FC, etc). At least you had the awareness to know something wasn't right, and you have the tools (testing & bleach) to get back on-track as soon as possible. If you still have concerns about pollen versus algae, you could still increase FC a little to conduct an overnight (OCLT) before continuing. Maybe bump the FC up to about 7-8 just to get a good overnight comparison.

Along with the plumes of green, it's the haziness that concerns me. Either way, let us know how it develops and what you find out.

bownut

May 7, 2016
Fayetteville
I had the same thing happen this morning. We have had very high winds in my area, especially overnight. I tested my pool this morning, FC 3.5, CC barely there. I am running my SWG at Superchlorinate just in case, but I also wondered at the pool being filled with pollen. It is beautifully clear but slightly green. This can indicate copper, but I haven't put anything in the pool that contains copper. So, I'm crossing my fingers it is pollen. The pool is still 55 degrees, so it is hard to imagine I'm getting an algea bloom.

domct203

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
Good to see that the OP knew something was off, and is nipping this in the bud.

I had the same thing happen this morning. We have had very high winds in my area, especially overnight. I tested my pool this morning, FC 3.5, CC barely there. I am running my SWG at Superchlorinate just in case, but I also wondered at the pool being filled with pollen. It is beautifully clear but slightly green. This can indicate copper, but I haven't put anything in the pool that contains copper. So, I'm crossing my fingers it is pollen. The pool is still 55 degrees, so it is hard to imagine I'm getting an algea bloom.
Crystal clear water with a green tint to it may be iron, the yellow of the iron against a blue liner will look green.

domct203

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
Ok,
I tested this morning
FC: 18.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.8 (I adjusted before to 7.2, should I adjust this during the SLAM?)

Thanks!
The pH will read falsely High with a FC <10ppm. Just concentrate on Maintaining that FC, & brush, brush, brush!

PebblePool

Nov 21, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Crystal clear, this is the first time I've done it without powdered shock. Much better result, Thanks!

Bleach, bleach, bleach, brush, brush, brush (repeat)

PebblePool

Nov 21, 2016
Melbourne, FL
It was re-finished back in November, but it looks just AS GOOD as it did after the first chlorination post-resurface. My FC is 17 right now, I'm hoping to swim in it on Sunday afternoon, not sure what the FC will be then. It is pretty sunny in Florida this time of year.

Yay!! Well done! :goodjob: It probably looks better than ever too, huh?

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
C Above Ground Pools 3
M Algae - Prevention and Treatment 5
A Algae - Prevention and Treatment 1

Other Threads of Interest