Variable Speed Pump - What Speed?

Feb 26, 2017
Sierra Vista, AZ
Hi all!
I grew up with a pool in FL as a kid, and I remember the pump had two settings - ON or OFF. My dad would have me turn it on when I came home from school, and off before bed.

Fast forward 20 years:

8 months ago, I bought a house with a pool! But this variable speed pump is confusing to me. I know I need to turn the pump on for a few hours each day, but I have no idea at what speed I should run it. How do I figure out how long and at what speed I should run this thing?

Thanks in advance!

Red,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your pool questions... :shark:

The whole point of having a variable speed pump is so that you can run it at whatever speed is dictated by the situation.

I would run it at 1,000 RPM for normal circulation.
I would run it at the lowest speed which makes your Zodiac work best.
I would run it at the lowest speed that allows your pop-up cleaners work best.
I would run it at the lowest speed that makes the waterfall look the best.

Each situation may call for its own speed...

Unless you have some sort of automation, you would program this speeds in the control panel on your pump itself. You do not normally turn the power off to a VS pump.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

You can run at maximum speed for as long as you want although I don't know why you would want to. Nothing should be that sensitive to pressure and flow rate.

However, since you have in-floors, I would run the pump long enough just for that. Circulation should be taken care of along with that. But why the second cleaner? Are the in-floors not working properly?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.