Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable Speed Pump - What Speed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable Speed Pump - What Speed?

Hi all!
    I grew up with a pool in FL as a kid, and I remember the pump had two settings - ON or OFF. My dad would have me turn it on when I came home from school, and off before bed.

Fast forward 20 years:

8 months ago, I bought a house with a pool! But this variable speed pump is confusing to me. I know I need to turn the pump on for a few hours each day, but I have no idea at what speed I should run it. How do I figure out how long and at what speed I should run this thing?

Thanks in advance!
    14,000 gal IG w/ spa built 2005, pebbletec, Sta-Rite IntelliPro Variable Speed pump, Sta-Rite System 3 300sf cartridge filter, Sta-Rite 333 NG Heater, Zodiac G3 vac, A&A pop-up cleaners, waterfall rocks feature, Taylor K-2006 kit (ordered!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Variable Speed Pump - What Speed?

Red,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your pool questions...

The whole point of having a variable speed pump is so that you can run it at whatever speed is dictated by the situation.

I would run it at 1,000 RPM for normal circulation.
    I would run it at the lowest speed which makes your Zodiac work best.
    I would run it at the lowest speed that allows your pop-up cleaners work best.
    I would run it at the lowest speed that makes the waterfall look the best.

Each situation may call for its own speed...

Unless you have some sort of automation, you would program this speeds in the control panel on your pump itself. You do not normally turn the power off to a VS pump.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jim, that makes sense. Appreciate the tip!

- - - Updated - - -

Followup - Is there a "safe maximum" speed? Can I damage the pump if I "run the motor hard" for too long?
    14,000 gal IG w/ spa built 2005, pebbletec, Sta-Rite IntelliPro Variable Speed pump, Sta-Rite System 3 300sf cartridge filter, Sta-Rite 333 NG Heater, Zodiac G3 vac, A&A pop-up cleaners, waterfall rocks feature, Taylor K-2006 kit (ordered!)

4. Back To Top    #4

You can run at maximum speed for as long as you want although I don't know why you would want to. Nothing should be that sensitive to pressure and flow rate.

However, since you have in-floors, I would run the pump long enough just for that. Circulation should be taken care of along with that. But why the second cleaner? Are the in-floors not working properly?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

That's a good question. I have both because both came with the house. I'll probably take the Zodiac out and see how things work with just the in-floors.