Heater plumbing question (automatic flue damper)

Jul 14, 2016
Iowa City, IA
I'm going to be installing a new Raypak heater. Does anyone know if it's ok to install an automatic flue damper on the exhaust vent (it should be fine as they are used on other boilers to improve efficiency)? Can this be wired to the heater so that it will be triggered to open when it fires up?

I just had a Raypak installed last week...they sell a chimney kit too (and the installer said i had to have the new one to fit right and be up to code)

But why wouldn't you just want it open all the time I'm wondering.

It would not be good to have a damper bind up or fail if the heater was running.

Are you a certified heater person? If not you won't have a valid warranty. (if you were not aware)

Apparently these dampers help improve efficiency by retaining heat when the boiler is not running such as when water is flowing through the heater during pump running. They use these on many other boilers and water heaters so it's not something I made up. And yes I'm aware of the warranty. It won't be an issue since I'm having a person install it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.