Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Pentair CCP drain port with a valve and hose attachment

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Pentair CCP drain port with a valve and hose attachment

I thought this might be of interest to some people -- I have a Pentair CCP420 filter on a concrete pad with the pumps, and opening the drain makes a big mess everywhere, so I wanted the ability to connect a hose to a better location when cleaning the filter or draining excess water from the pool. Other threads showed this for filters with horizontal drain ports, but the CCP series has the drain plug vertically in a recess under the filter, so putting fittings on is not as simple.

After browsing the local ACE PVC fitting aisle, I came up with:

- 1.5” -> 3/4" reducer
    - 3/4" street elbow (male on one end, female on the other)
    - 3/4" short nipple
    - 3/4" ball valve
    - Hose adapter (3/4" male pipe thread on one end, male hose thread on the other, plastic)

By reducing to 3/4" I was able to screw the reducer in, then the elbow into that with plenty of clearance before adding the rest. I used teflon tape on all of the male threads, and it doesn’t appear to be leaking at all.

Obviously this won’t drain as fast as a 1.5” pipe would, but it’s a clear 3/4" path and seems to work fine. It will vary with your pool size, pump speed and plumbing, but I can drain an inch of water in about 20 minutes, so I just set an alarm on my phone or watch to come back and close it up. It’s probably better to have a somewhat restricted flow to keep enough pressure in the filter that air doesn't enter the system.

Pictures:
    IMG_20161031_171630677.jpgIMG_20161031_171636267.jpg
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Pentair CCP drain port with a valve and hose attachment

J,

Thanks for the pics...

I need to do this on my filter, as I'm just getting too old to stand on my head to remove the drain valve...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

What a GREAT idea! Thank you for posting this...will be doing this to my Pentair too!!!
    Inground 1800 gallon gunite spa/pool, installed mid 1980s.
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 4 cartridge filter Model CCP 240
    Pac Fab Challenger (High head, High flow) 1 1/2 HP pump
    One Jandy valve controlling automatic chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

Going to follow your instructions today. We had a ton of rain. What pump RPM do you typically run at when opening the ball valve?

17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

5. Back To Top    #5

Unfortunately I just tried this and was unsuccessful. My filter sits directly on the equipment pad with barely and space between drain plug and the concrete pad. Was unable to rotate the ball valve to tighten into the PVC without the handle hitting the ground

17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by miles267 View Post
    Unfortunately I just tried this and was unsuccessful. My filter sits directly on the equipment pad with barely and space between drain plug and the concrete pad. Was unable to rotate the ball valve to tighten into the PVC without the handle hitting the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was tight; I think I did have to tip the filter ever so slightly to screw on the valve; there was enough give in my pipes to do that. Could you just disconnect the unions from the filter to be able to tip it? Other think I can think of is another street elbow (so the valve ends up vertical) or two (to bring it horizontal again but higher).

I just run at a regular higher speed (I think 2500, but I had set my IntelliFlo's max RPM to something like 2650 to be equivalent to the old 3/4 HP pump). I don't think you have to worry about overpressuring the hose since you're not forcing all of the water there; whatever volume the hose can't handle will go through the normal filter/return path.

7. Back To Top    #7

Good suggestion. Will try that. What did you use to seal the 1.5 inch to 3/4 inch reducer? Just teflon tape? Did you also use the o-ring from the original drain plug?

Did you use teflon tape or something else to make water tight at each of the couplings and connections?

Thanks again. Am determined to make this happen.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by miles267 View Post
    Good suggestion. Will try that. What did you use to seal the 1.5 inch to 3/4 inch reducer? Just teflon tape? Did you also use the o-ring from the original drain plug?

Did you use teflon tape or something else to make water tight at each of the couplings and connections?

Thanks again. Am determined to make this happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I used teflon tape on all of the threads and I did not use the drain plug's O-ring.