Tips for painting pool deck

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
Our pool is just a year old and we need to repaint the deck. Any suggestions from experienced painters? Brands that hold up well? Anything that would help us first time painters would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've held off doing anything with my deck, I have a mid-1980's kool-deck which is showing its age. When we re-plastered, we decided not to go with flagstone pavers because of the additional cost. I'm curious to see what people are doing with their decks.

My pool deck was done with kool deck several years ago before we moved in. I looked into many different options on paint from all over. I decided to buy the pool deck paint from home depot. Its been down for about a year now and its holding up well. I pressure washed the surface before and let dry for 2 days before I applied the paint. I just used a paint brush to do the trim and a paint roller on a handle to do the deck. It was 5 gallons for about 130.00 but you have to order it as they don't carry it in the store. Hope that helps.

I painted it on the hottest of all days last summer. It was 107 in the shade. It was dry enough to walk on within two hours and I put alll the pool furniture back on about four hours later. We had about a ten minute unexpected rain shower about six hours after I painted and it didn't hurt it at all. The paint i used was bought from home depot delivered to my door. Its a lighter color called Bombay low sheen waterborne acrylic stain. I plan to pressure wash and apply a second coat later in the year as I put it on kind of thin in spots, but it has held up well..

I painted it on the hottest of all days last summer. It was 107 in the shade. It was dry enough to walk on within two hours and I put alll the pool furniture back on about four hours later. We had about a ten minute unexpected rain shower about six hours after I painted and it didn't hurt it at all. The paint i used was bought from home depot delivered to my door. Its a lighter color called Bombay low sheen waterborne acrylic stain. I plan to pressure wash and apply a second coat later in the year as I put it on kind of thin in spots, but it has held up well..
Thanks for the info, do you happen to have a pic of your painted deck, curious about the color?

Our concrete guy suggested Olympic Rescue It! Max. It is a Resurfacer, Primer and Sealant. Fine sand like texture. No special roller needed, just a medium knap.
Also, rust-oleum Deck and Concrete Restore Advanced Resurfacer. It has a very thick finish/texture. Fills cracks and gaps and requires a roller made by Rust-Oleum specific to the product.
Both can be found a Lowes. There is a free brochure with several colors to choose from.
We chose the Olympic and will be painting in the next few weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.