Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What are the benefits of brushing my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What are the benefits of brushing my pool?

The weekly brushing of the walls of my pool is my least favorite pool maintenance task. Why is this necessary?

I have been out of town and sick the past two weeks so it had been three weeks since I last brushed my pool. After brushing I noticed no difference in the water. No clouds kicked up with the brush or anything. So I just have to ask....What are the benefits of weekly brushing?
    - 25K Gallons, Jandy AquaPure Model Pure1400 SWG w/ AquaLink RS PDA, Jandy LXi Heater Model 400
    - Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filters
    - IG Plaster Pool w/ rock waterfall & weeping walls, Elevated spill-over spa
    - 2 X Jandy Stealth SHPM2.5 pumps (one for pool, one for waterfall), Pool Pump ~ 100 GPM in pool mode
    - UltraPure UPP25 Ozone Generator, Polaris 280 w/ Polaris Halcyon booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What are the benefits of brushing my pool?

Honestly, I have yet to brush my pool. I've had it open, while living her for about 3 months (2 last season, and 1 this season). Unless you count the little bit of brushing that happens when I vacuum, but that's only the floor of the pool. I'm happy with how mine looks, so I just haven't added the extra work.
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think brushing helps minimize the risk of algae spots in areas that get poor circulation. Especially important in plaster pools or pools with surfaces where algae can grow easily. Harder for vinyl. Brushing also keeps everything stirred up so the filter can catch the particles.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by TroyB
    The weekly brushing of the walls of my pool is my least favorite pool maintenance task. Why is this necessary? So I just have to ask....What are the benefits of weekly brushing?
    It takes me about 10 minutes to brush the pool, fifteen if I have to pull pool toys out first! I do the 10 minute brush job every other day and drop the Polaris in for 2 hours on the days when I don't brush. I start brushing, do chemical checks, then finish brushing. 8)

Brushing knocks anything loose that sticks to the sides or bottom and allows it to be suspended in the water and picked up by the filter. If you do have algae starting, it'll stir it up which allows the chlorine to kill it and then the chlorine can start on whatever is still attached, if anything.

It's kind of like any other preventive maintenance: Preventing problems.

If you talk to waterbear he'll tell you that weekly isn't enough!
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy_dba
    If you talk to waterbear he'll tell you that weekly isn't enough!
    Yes, in that respect I am like your dentist!

6. Back To Top    #6

you may find a "wall whale" or similar product makes it easier and faster for you to brush.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree on using a Wall Whale. The DW didn't like brushing, she doesn't mind it using the WW. Which works for me! ssshhh
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNJ
    I agree on using a Wall Whale. The DW didn't like brushing, she doesn't mind it using the WW. Which works for me! ssshhh
    With brushing twice a week, I find I can get away with manual vacuuming once every two weeks on average, or even longer depending on a number of factors. I precede the brush with a raking of the bottom with a leaf catcher, if it needs it. Of course when I brush, I brush completely, both walls and bottom. This helps stir everything up so a good portion ends up in the filtering system.

Also, my arms get a nice workout when I brush. Wall Whale? I don't need no stinkin' wall whale.
    22,000 gallon ig vinyl solar heated (panels and cover) zeolite filtrate