Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NPR article about pee in pools

1. Back To Top    #1

NPR article about pee in pools

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: NPR article about pee in pools

Interesting that they don't talk about additional fc oxidizing and getting rid of most or even all of these. I always said if you smell it the pool needs more fc!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm getting this sign -

Or

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

This is another scary article from The Guardian of London-

How much pee is in our swimming pools? New urine test reveals the truth | Science | The Guardian

A perfect reason to own our own pool!!!
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

I just heard this on the radio this afternoon on NPR. I heard that they might be making a kit that the public can purchase, or did I not hear correctly.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

6. Back To Top    #6

One can buy a kit to detect creatinine levels but I doubt you'd be able to measure single individual instances in a large pool volume. Like ammonia, by the time you're able to measure any significant quantity, it's waaaaaay too late, your FC is zero and your water probably stinks really bad.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

I've been reading these articles about pee in the pool and a lot of them only talk about the immediate chemical reaction. Is it just me or does the chlorine not break down the urine / urea and remove it from the water column? The urea does not remain in your pool forever.

I heard someone in a TV interview say the only way to remove old pee from your pool was to drain it and refill it.
    ~10-12K gallons, IG, Cartridge, Saltwater, gunite, attached spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

The chlorine and uv from the sun will break it down. But urine takes a lot of chlorine to break down so that's why we tend to say urine eats chlorine.

If it were true that the only way to remove urine was to drain then there would be little water left on earth. The dinosaurs were here for 165 million years. They were peeing the entire time(I assure you I have video) so every glass of water we consume is composed in a significant part of water that was dinosaur urine.

With his knowledge of pools and chemistry he should get a job in a pool store.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

It's not only urine, it will be broke down, it's what is in urine, chlorine will not break down certain things that we pass in pee. Look at some studies, it's shocking what is found in perfectly kept and properly chlorinated pools.

10. Back To Top    #10

Studies have shown that 1 cup of human urine requires the equivalent amount of FC to neutralize 5 to 6 person-hours of bather waste. So, when people pee in pools, it puts a huge stress on FC levels. Hence the need for the following signs -

noPinOol.jpg
    Matt

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Or it's a good weapon in your arsenal if you've overdosed your pool with chlorine!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!