travertine - is it supposed to be sealed??

Feb 18, 2017
Arizona
We're currently having travertine installed around our new pool. Is it supposed to be sealed?? Also, I think the color is too light; with the sealant, will it darken it permanently? Does the sealant make the travertine too slippery?

travertine.jpg

It does not have to be sealed but if you are going to have a salt water pool it might be a good idea. It will also mitigate staining from organics, trees, food spills ect. Changing the color and texture depends on the sealer used, a penetrating sealer will not make it slippery and may or may not darken it. Best way to know for sure is get a extra piece from the installer and test it with the product you plan on using. Someone will be along shortly with suggested products I know may choose to seal.

It's a matter of preference if you seal it or not. There isn't a right or wrong about it.
One of the biggest advantages of sealing it, is the sealer the deck will stay looking beautiful for longer. And when it does come time to clean the deck, it will be easier to do.
A downside of sealing is that you'll have to re-seal every few years.

There are a ton of sealers on the market and many have different appearances. Some may make the travertine look darker while others won't and many sealers have non slip additives already mixed in. You can also add your own non slip additives if you want to.

The best thing you can do for yourself, is learn what's out there, and then make the best choice of sealer.

Personally, I think that adding a sealer is best.
My deck is sealed and I have other concrete surfaces around my house that are not sealed in comparison to my deck, they look horrible. I will be sealing those this spring after I pressure wash them.

We're currently having travertine installed around our new pool. Is it supposed to be sealed?? Also, I think the color is too light; with the sealant, will it darken it permanently? Does the sealant make the travertine too slippery?

View attachment 57464

I don't have an opinion on sealing or not.

I can tell you that many, many sealers will not hold up to the UV they are exposed to in a pool deck and will not last maybe more than one season, if that.

Sorry to wake up an old post, but I am wondering if any others have had good/bad opinions on sealing the Travertine lately? Ours is new, from April, and I am wondering which route to take?

I DON'T want slippery, nor water pooling on top, but I also don't want it to look like old crusty tile in a year or two.

Anyone done it lately, or have new thoughts, regrets, other??

We had our travertine professionally sealed upon the insistence of our pb. He wouldn’t warranty anything to do with paving if we didn’t. We were given the choice of three different brands and multiple products by the company. They were all penetrating sealants and do not alter the look or feel of the paver. We went with the Lithofin. The product we chose has a 25 year warranty. No reapplication required in that time. We were also provided with their care products. We were strongly against sealing but are really glad we were forced into it. I would have thought we would have very little in the way of bird droppings etc in our small pool area. I was wrong. So much bird poo often with a purple berry colour. Even bat poo despite never seeing a bat here in my life. I try to clean things off as soon as I can. I typically just use a bit of pool water and a kitchen brush. Nothing stains so that is a relief. I have compared with a spare paver and there is zero difference in colour, feel or slip.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.