Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter pool water loss

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter pool water loss

Hello everyone. Wanting some input on this.

I live in Illinois--so still have a while until I open the pool for the summer. I usually fill my water line up and over the top screw in my skimmer cover to help keep the automatic cover from dropping too low. However, I have noticed that my pool cover was dropping pretty low. I pulled the cover back today to check the water level and it is approximately 8 inches lower than it was in late September when I closed the pool.

With a 32,000 gallon pool--this is a lot of water. I am assuming I have a leak somewhere. Is there anything I can or should do for this?
    Pete
    Vinyl IG, 32,000 gallons, CircuPool 60,000g SWG, Hayward heater, Pentair TA-60/60D Sand Filter , Hayward Super Pump, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter pool water loss

I would say open early as you possibly can and get started on some help finding the leak. Sorry I dont have more.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Winter pool water loss

I live outside the Chicago area. I too found my water level about 5 inches lower than when closed in october. We had only one real snow event this winter, little rain, and a late freeze. I believe the issue was just evaporation especially with the strange temperature changes we had this winter