Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Metal stains - From Ascorbic to Oxalic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Metal stains - From Ascorbic to Oxalic acid

I have metal staining on the walls. Brought my chlorine level down to zero, PH down to 7.2 and put in 2 lbs of ascorbic acid. Three days later the stains are slightly lighter, but still remain in full force.
    I remember using United Chemical 'Pool Stain Treat' a couple years ago. It knocked the metals off the wall very fast. But since it's Oxalic acid I got the clouding for about a week.
    Would I potentially do any harm by jumping straight to Oxalic acid right now since the ascorbic acid appears to not be strong enough?
    10k gal inground marcite pool, Jandy CS100 cartridge filter, no heater, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Metal stains - From Ascorbic to Oxalic acid

Welcome to TFP!

No, it will not hurt anything, or you can use more ascorbic acid. Have you read this article? Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Metal stains - From Ascorbic to Oxalic acid

Thanks, yep I read the article (very helpful by the way).
    That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of jumping to the Oxalic acid is it seems that the ascorbic really didn't do much even after 2 lbs. At this rate it could really cost me a lot of money if I keep going with Ascorbic.
    I'm surprised it didn't do much considering how small my pool is?
    10k gal inground marcite pool, Jandy CS100 cartridge filter, no heater, Taylor K-2006 test kit.