Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Punctured Main Drain Line

1. Back To Top    #1

Punctured Main Drain Line

Hi all,

I was having a fence installed around my pool today and unfortunately the installer punctured the mail drain line while digging out for a post. I called a PB to come out and fix it and the PB said that they need to get to the drain in the deep end of the pool (so that the water stops flowing and they can replace the broken piece of pipe), but he doesn't do that type of work until early May.

He didn't do anything to really at least temporarily plug the puncture. He drained the hole (as it was filled up with some water due to the puncture) and tried to get some heavy double sided sort of duct tape to seal it, but it did't really work, as the water just keeps leaking out form the edges of the tape. The water level in the hole isn't going past a certain height within the hole, which the PB said was because the water level in the hole was matching the water level of the pool. Is that true? Assuming he was right, I suggested that he drain some of the water from the pool to get the water level in the hole down low enough (as it wouldn't be too low as far as the pool's integrity goes...probably to about a foot below the returns), and he just acted like it wouldn't be a good idea. I got the feeling though that he just didn't feel like waiting around for it to drain, or didn't want to do the work in general right now, because it's winter.

A have few a questions:
    - Anyone know a PB in NJ that would fix the leak now?
    - If we don't do anything until May, should I worry about the pipe freezing over since it's now exposed? I was thinking that maybe the line breaking due to ice freezing isn't an issue since there is the puncture and if the water expands while frozen it wouldn't have the typical pressure to worry about that a closed pipe would have.
    - Should I just drain the pool low enough to get the leak to stop so that it can be fixed sooner than May?

Thanks for any advice!
    In-ground 47'x25' free-form gunite pool w/ spa w/ waterfall. 35,380 gallons. 3' to 8' deep. 96 sq ft 6" deep sun shelf. SunStone Select Quartz Finish (Graphite). 2 Hayward skimmers. Jandy DEV60 DE Filter + Pro Series Plus 2HP Pump. Polaris PB4-60 Pressure Cleaner Booster Pump. Raypack P-R406A Heater. EasyTouch 8. IntelliChem w/ Acid Tank. IntelliChlor IC60. Techo-Bloc bullnose coping + Blu 60 mm paver patio. Merlin SmartMesh cover. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Punctured Mail Drain Line

Joe,

If me, I'd get a sump pump and drain the water down until the end of the broken pipe is about 6" above the water level in the pipe. I would then cut the line off and the cement in a PVC cap, until it can be repaired correctly.

This would allow you to refill your pool without any leaks.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Joe,

If me, I'd get a sump pump and drain the water down until the end of the broken pipe is about 6" above the water level in the pipe. I would then cut the line off and the cement in a PVC cap, until it can be repaired correctly.

This would allow you to refill your pool without any leaks.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Hi Jim,

Thanks very much for the quick response. To make sure I understand - are you saying I should drain the level of the pool water down to be 6" below the height of the pipe? Or were you thinking that the pipe was running vertically?

Here's a video of the leak, if it helps: Pool Leak - YouTube
    In-ground 47'x25' free-form gunite pool w/ spa w/ waterfall. 35,380 gallons. 3' to 8' deep. 96 sq ft 6" deep sun shelf. SunStone Select Quartz Finish (Graphite). 2 Hayward skimmers. Jandy DEV60 DE Filter + Pro Series Plus 2HP Pump. Polaris PB4-60 Pressure Cleaner Booster Pump. Raypack P-R406A Heater. EasyTouch 8. IntelliChem w/ Acid Tank. IntelliChlor IC60. Techo-Bloc bullnose coping + Blu 60 mm paver patio. Merlin SmartMesh cover. TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

Cut the pipe, push a ball of bread into the pipe as a temporary plug and then replumb as needed. The plug will hold for a little while and then dissolve and get sucked into the pump basket.

It takes a little planning because the plug won't last long.

Maybe glue on a ball valve so that you can take your time on the repair.

Dig up around pipe, cut out section, shove in plug, glue on ball valve.

Or, just be quick on the replumb by having everything ready to go.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by joesc230 View Post
    Hi Jim,

Thanks very much for the quick response. To make sure I understand - are you saying I should drain the level of the pool water down to be 6" below the height of the pipe? Or were you thinking that the pipe was running vertically?

Here's a video of the leak, if it helps: Pool Leak - YouTube
    Joe,

The water is coming out of the pipe because the water level in the pool is above the hole in the pipe. By draining the pool down a foot or so, the hole should be above the water level.

My idea was just to be able to cap off the pipe before the hole, so that you can wait for the pool builder to fix it. In the meantime you could fill the pool back up as you don't have to have a main drain. (Shut off at the pad of course)

I've had success with the bread trick on smaller pipes without any real pressure in them, I'm personally not sure how well it would hold back a pool full of water.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Drain it down do the repair refill immediately to the level you normally maintain in the winter
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to all for the input. I'm draining the water level down now and will ask the PB to come and fix the pipe once that's done.

8. Back To Top    #8

UPDATE: I drained the pool down about a foot and the PB's plumber came this morning and replaced the broken piece. Instead of putting something that was exactly like the original piece, he installed a U, like this:

Is this a correct way to fix this? I just want to make sure he didn't do anything lazy or wrong before I fill the hole back up.

Also - he got a little of the blue plumber's glue on one of my pavers. I was able to wipe most of it up, but there's still a little there. I tried using mineral oil and that didn't work...but I didn't let the oil sit too long. Anyone have a tip on how to clean it off the paver?

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Punctured Main Drain Line

I would try some muriatic acid on the paver. I don't know any other way to fix that pipe. You can't slide the pipes apart and then back together.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Punctured Main Drain Line

It's an ok fix. I might have used 2" 90s to reduce the head loss, but it's OK like it is.

MEK might work to remove the glue.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.