Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: colorscapes vs quartzscapes?

1. Back To Top    #1

colorscapes vs quartzscapes?

Im struggling to understand the difference. It appears that quartzscapes is a small upgrade over colorscapes. Colorscapes is a ceramic coated quartz aggregate product and Quarttscapes doesnt have the ceramic coating...

Whats the difference? Is one stronger, more polymers, more aggregate?

Can anyone explain the difference between these two products that are from the same company?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: colorscapes vs quartzscapes?

Colorscapes uses a much finer aggregate (likely the remnants from Quartzscapes) to give the color variations. I assume the ceramic coating is for color uniformity.

Quartzscapes uses larger quartz fragments which will yield a stronger surface and one that has the potential to last longer.

Either surface should provide a good lifespan but far more critical than the material itself is the water chemistry it is exposed to long-term.
    -Brian-

Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    Colorscapes uses a much finer aggregate (likely the remnants from Quartzscapes) to give the color variations. I assume the ceramic coating is for color uniformity.

Quartzscapes uses larger quartz fragments which will yield a stronger surface and one that has the potential to last longer.

Either surface should provide a good lifespan but far more critical than the material itself is the water chemistry it is exposed to long-term.
    My PB said the same thing...that with proper water chemistry, Colorscapes can last 20 years or more.

39' x 16.5' Free-Form In-ground, 100' Perimeter (3' x 9') plus 7' Spa raised 18" over pool; 12 helical piers to keep pool structurally sound on 4' slope; All Jandy equipment including iAqualink, 400K BTU gas heater, 2HP VS ePump, 460 Cart. Filter, Polaris 280 Vac, In-line chlorinator, Color LEDs, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Question Re: colorscapes vs quartzscapes?

I asked my PB about upgrading from plaster to Quartzscape, but he was trying to discourage me from that, and get me to upgrade to Stonescape because it is only a few hundred dollars difference, and last longer. However, I am not a big fan of the aggregate finish. And after further research I came across Colorscape which is similar to Quartzscape, but appears to be smoother. And if Colorscape still provides a long-term finish (with correct water chemistry) for me that would be the right choice. So now I am trying to figure out the cost difference between all 3 of these finishes. $5k for Stonescape, a few hundred less for Quartzscape, so what would the cost of Colorscape be? If anyone in the know happens to know what the price ratio difference should be, please chime in. Thank you.
    Build in Progress - 15k gallons IG gunite, 12x38 rectangle 4-6-4, Raised Spa - 6x6 w/neg. edge & gas fire feature, All Pentair - IntelliFlo VS Pump, 420 Clean & Clear Filter, 400K BTU MasterTemp, IntelliChlor IC40 w/EasyTouch8 Bundle, ScreenLogic2, IntelliChem, 3 GloBrite LED Color Lights in Pool - 1 in Spa, 1 ColorVision LED Bubbler on Ledge, Bellecrete Grey Mod-Edge Pre-cast Coping, QuartzScape Mariner Blue, Sunstone-Lagoon 1x1 Mosaic

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The cost difference is pretty minimal between them. Plain plaster is probably around $3000 for your size pool.

- - - Updated - - -

5K for StoneScapes is a really good price
    -Brian-

6. Back To Top    #6

The cost difference is pretty minimal between them. Plain plaster is probably around $3000 for your size pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Brian....So if the price difference is so minimum, is Stonescape the way to go if I am looking for a much smoother finish?
    Build in Progress - 15k gallons IG gunite, 12x38 rectangle 4-6-4, Raised Spa - 6x6 w/neg. edge & gas fire feature, All Pentair - IntelliFlo VS Pump, 420 Clean & Clear Filter, 400K BTU MasterTemp, IntelliChlor IC40 w/EasyTouch8 Bundle, ScreenLogic2, IntelliChem, 3 GloBrite LED Color Lights in Pool - 1 in Spa, 1 ColorVision LED Bubbler on Ledge, Bellecrete Grey Mod-Edge Pre-cast Coping, QuartzScape Mariner Blue, Sunstone-Lagoon 1x1 Mosaic

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I have StoneScapes and it is far from smooth. I wish I knew about AquaBright at the time but that wasn't until a couple years later.

The trouble you are going to have with quartz and plaster is it's going to be hard to find an applicator willing to do darker colors. I don't even entertain dark plaster finishes anymore because they always end up looking horrible.
    -Brian-

8. Back To Top    #8

I have StoneScapes and it is far from smooth. I wish I knew about AquaBright at the time but that wasn't until a couple years later.

The trouble you are going to have with quartz and plaster is it's going to be hard to find an applicator willing to do darker colors. I don't even entertain dark plaster finishes anymore because they always end up looking horrible.
    If I went with a quartz finish, I would only consider a lighter color based on what I've read here. If I could afford AquaBright, that would be my first choice. My PB told me quartz finishes only last 8-10 years versus Stonescape which lasts 20-25 years (of course that is with good water balance in both cases.) Is that true?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

No. A pool finish doesn't just fail one day.

I've seen plaster finishes 30 years old and have replaced some that were less than 2 years old. I don't buy into these lifespan claims because they are basically meaningless. A pebble finish will outlast a plaster finish so long as it doesn't crack or delaminate but at the end of the day all of them are still plaster.

The biggest driving factor to replace a pool surface is the appearance, not the structural integrity of it
    -Brian-

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Brian- why did the finish fail at 2 years? What was the chemistry issue? Was it out of control pH? High FC? What specifically causes the failure?
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

It didn't fail, it was rough and discolored. Poor workmanship and possibly poor materials as well. There was nothing wrong with it other than it being ugly. The pool builder and the plasterer said the warranty doesn't cover color variations and fading; comforting words from a large builder after paying for an "upgrade".
    -Brian-

12. Back To Top    #12

s

- - - Updated - - -

That is my PB's upgrade price, plaster was built into my pool cost. He wants to charge me an additional $5k for Stonescape. And that is what I'm trying to understand. If my existing plaster cost is $3k, how much more should Stonescape, Quartzscape or Colorscape cost? I'm confused why Quartz would not be much cheaper than Stonescape (pebble), since there is no aggregate exposure step. And I would assume the material cost for Quartz would be cheaper than pebble.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I didn't realize that was an upgrade price on top of plaster... So you're looking at 8 K for quartz?

Pretty sure there's somebody that can get AquaBright for not much more...............
    -Brian-

14. Back To Top    #14

Hopefully this will answer your question. I'm in the process of a new pool build, 18X40. White plaster is included with the bid. To upgrade to the Stone Scapes from plain white plaster was a total of $5220.00. We couldn't settle on the Stone Scapes color, so we found a Radiant Fusion which is a micro pebble with glass beads. That cost an addition $756 over the Stone Scapes.
    18X40 Rectangle Gunite, 27000 gal, Completed 7/01/17 Pentair IntelliFlo 3HP XF. Pentair 3HP Intelliflo booster, Pentair 520 Cartridge, Pentair Easy Touch 8 W/ Screenlogic, A&A In Floor Cleaning System, 3" Suction, 2 - AVSC Debris Removal Main Drains, Waterco Multi-Cyclone Pre Filter, DekChlor auto chlorinator, 4ft Sheer Descent and 2 lighted sun deck Bubblers. 1000 sq ft of decking, TF-100 Test Kit, On City Water.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

If I was bidding on your pool....

128 perimeter feet

Plaster -$3000
    Quartz- $3600
    Mini pebble - $5500

I won't got to LA for any of those but I would for AquaBright.
    -Brian-

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by sbalberti View Post
    Hopefully this will answer your question. I'm in the process of a new pool build, 18X40. White plaster is included with the bid. To upgrade to the Stone Scapes from plain white plaster was a total of $5220.00. We couldn't settle on the Stone Scapes color, so we found a Radiant Fusion which is a micro pebble with glass beads. That cost an addition $756 over the Stone Scapes.

Radiant fusion in Topaz is my plaster. It's very nice if done well. Martinkennedy also has Radiant Fusion plaster. His build is worth checking out.
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

17. Back To Top    #17

Do you have any pics or links? Right now we really like Regal Blue, I'm not sure if Topaz is still available?

- - - Updated - - -

"Radiant fusion in Topaz is my plaster. It's very nice if done well. Martinkennedy also has Radiant Fusion plaster. His build is worth checking out."

Do you have any pics or links? Right now we really like Regal Blue, I'm not sure if Topaz is still available?
    18X40 Rectangle Gunite, 27000 gal, Completed 7/01/17 Pentair IntelliFlo 3HP XF. Pentair 3HP Intelliflo booster, Pentair 520 Cartridge, Pentair Easy Touch 8 W/ Screenlogic, A&A In Floor Cleaning System, 3" Suction, 2 - AVSC Debris Removal Main Drains, Waterco Multi-Cyclone Pre Filter, DekChlor auto chlorinator, 4ft Sheer Descent and 2 lighted sun deck Bubblers. 1000 sq ft of decking, TF-100 Test Kit, On City Water.

18. Back To Top    #18

I didn't realize that was an upgrade price on top of plaster... So you're looking at 8 K for quartz?

Pretty sure there's somebody that can get AquaBright for not much more...............
    That was exactly my thought too. But perhaps I misunderstood my PB. I am going to bring it up with him again. Thanks for putting it in perspective for me.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Here you go!

Hello from an excited Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma!! - Page 81

- - - Updated - - -

Martinkennedy has the regal blue. Seriously, check out his build! Awesome pool!
    Denise-TFP Guide

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

If I was bidding on your pool....

128 perimeter feet

Plaster -$3000
    Quartz- $3600
    Mini pebble - $5500

I won't got to LA for any of those but I would for AquaBright.
    Are you saying you would go to LA to install Aquabright in a pool???? Wow! If I lived in LA, I'd take that offer in a heartbeat! Just knowing you were the installer would seal the deal.
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast