Hello from an excited Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma!!

Hi Denise, love the pool! While i have not heard of Finest Finish here in FL, after seeing 2 pool on here with the same plaster choice (yours and Sooner's), i am convinced this is the plaster choice I want as well. What is the texture? Is it more like PebbleTec or more smooth like DiamondBrite?

Today's pool water looks pretty clear. I can still see some dirt in it but it's not full looking like it was yesterday. Too bad they have to come back and add more dirt to the yard....

That water looks like it's worth all the cow dung you went through to get it.

Shop firepit glass at Lowes.com: Search Results

Here is the link. If they do not have it in the store they can order it. I THINK there are other colors but cannot find them now of course! :rolleyes:

:kim:
Thanks for the link, Kim! I am still looking (on and off) at various glass. I'm going to change it out just don't know when yet. We lit the firepit one other time and there was no popping but it wasn't on as long as it was the first time. But now the mortar is cracked on the top of the pit. Head Mason said it might and that they would fix it if it did.

Thanks so much for the pics with the grandies! That's what it's all about :)

They are enjoying it for sure, jet!

Thanks for posting all the wonderful pictures. Glad you and your family are enjoying your pool and addressing the remaining problems. I know what you're going through as I have my own Punch List and PB back to his old slow routine again after his vacation.

When considering your Robot don't forget to look at the Doheny Discovery (Dolphin S200). I'm very happy with mine and it's still on sale:
http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Dohenys-Discovery-Powered-By-Dolphin-13416.html

If you purchase one don't forget the $10 coupon and check MrRebates.com for 4% Rebate.
Thanks, Irwin! I'm waiting for it to be delivered!I got it for the sale price but forgot the $10 off. I'll check for that rebate though. Thanks again!

Just checking in on this thread and wanted to say thank you for putting all the photos of your grandies enjoying the pool. They're so cute and the water is super sparkly - love it!!

Aww, thank you, Sandissimos!

Love all the pics Denise and seeing the babies enjoying the pool! I've felt very MIA and behind on catching up with everyone's threads. Working on it little by little (you're at the top of my list!) but I think I must feel like you do after days of working overtime! Lol. ...At least we're enjoying our pools!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's my life- MIA!

I've stayed up to date on yours, just not much time to post. It's been either take time for reading or take that time and post. I have had so much to read up on (chemistry, equiptment, etc) and pretty builds to read, that it was (is) reading first,post if there's time.
YOUR POOL IS GORGEOUS!! You have the water color I really wanted, but was not an option in our choices. The kids are so cute enjoying the pool! Love the smiles and underwater shots!

If the lava rocks were popping, they must have something on or in them that is reacting. The lava itself can't do that without an outside material.

As for rocks, as mentioned, Lowes has a good selection. You you also search for glass on Amazon and the internet and possibly even better prices than Lowes. Plus perhaps free shipping if you have Prime.

Good luck, that water looks beautiful!

Thanks, bdrex! That's something I was wondering, if something was on the rocks or if they had a lot of moisture but we had the fire going for some time. Of course, PB didn't follow up like he said he would. Thanks for seconding Kim's suggestion of Lowe's!

I know I am really late to this party, but wow. Really, WOW. I think I may have to agree with Suz, on this one! You truly nailed the entire pool, everything really compliments everything else. The placement of the glass stone is perfect, and gorgeous, I love the size of the spa, I love your patience through this entire build, which I certainly did not have! Your pool is now one of my all time favorites, I hope you are enjoying it so much, the last picture is purely stunning, it literally looks like diamonds in the water. Congratulations on the new babies, even more people to enjoy your pool. I come home almost every day to some member of our family and their friends swimming in our pool - it makes me so happy to see people enjoying the pool.

We just finished our bar/shaded pavers and tv area, and we are in love! We didn't do the outside kitchen, but just added a refrigerator to the bar, not sure if that will change in the future. But I'm looking forward to your finished landscaping and pergola as you have amazing design ideas!

Hi Karyn! Thank you for such sweet comments! It makes me smile to think my little build is among someone's favorites. I'll look for your thread to see the updates!

Just got back from a two week vacation to Alaska, and all I can say about your last photo is Wow. Stunning!

Thanks, Kelly! Alaska is on my bucket list!!!

Gorgeous water and grandchildren!!!
Thanks, Sheree! I have been following your build and your trials and I have prayed for you. (((Hugs)))

So has the water cleared completely?

Hi Marla! Yes, it did but with all the dirt then we have had rain and we put down sod, it isn't as clean as when I took those pictures. My numbers are good though. I just need my robot to get here. I hate vacuuming!

I assume the sparkle I'm seeing in the finish is the abalone, it looks awesome in the photos!
Thank you, Geosage! Yes, it is the abalone, as well as the sun glistening on the water. Our yard is FULL sun! Your pool is looking awesome!

Hi Denise, love the pool! While i have not heard of Finest Finish here in FL, after seeing 2 pool on here with the same plaster choice (yours and Sooner's), i am convinced this is the plaster choice I want as well. What is the texture? Is it more like PebbleTec or more smooth like DiamondBrite?

Universal White Cement is the parent company. The product is also called Gemstone. Martinkennedy also used it in his build but his color choice was Regal Blue. His build is worth checking out. I have not seen Diamondbrite but it is like Pebbletec but a finer, smoother finish. It has the small aggregate mixed with glass beads and abalone. Whatever you get, make sure you a TONS of abalone! The glass beads are like beadcrete- they glow when the sun hits them but it's more subtle. The shells will knock your socks off!

That water looks like it's worth all the cow dung you went through to get it.

Thanks, Casey! Maybe next year I'll feel that way....

I am so far behind in checking in on threads. It looks great!!! And I'm jealous.....

plat.

HI PLAT!!! I'm so glad you popped in! I have been checking your thread regularly. I'm sorry you are having so much trouble and now your glass is cracking-AGAIN. I have a sad :( for you, friend.
My saga, unfortunately, continues....

I have a lengthy update including pictures. The last 3 weeks have been rough for my family. First, my DIL had hyperemesis and needed to go to the ER twice for fluids, then I came down with a "kill-me-now" stomach bug that is taking FOREVER to get over completely, and currently, my daughter is in the hospital for the 3 time in the last 4 days because she also has hyperemesis. I have been doing as much as I can to help care for both the girls, help with their kids and their homes/laundry, etc as well as work. I was off sick last weekend as well as being off sick this weekend. I'm feeling bit better today and actually got a little work done at my house. We are planning to have a Labor Day party. Just family, but I'm finally putting out all our pool stuff even though little has been done since my last update.

After they graded the yard, we discovered they only partially finished. We had wanted some of our dirt from the hole to put on the west side of our home where the soil had eroded over the last 14 yrs from not having gutters. PB told us he would take care of it when they graded and didn't leave us any of the dirt from the hole. When I called him to tell him they didn't fill that area he acted almost clueless. He agreed to it but then they didn't show up the next day like he said they would. Since they were a no show we couldn't put down the sod. Then it rained and all the dirt they added got washed into my neighbor's yard. Long story short, I finally managed to get them out to do the dirt and we were able to have sod layed the next day.

Fast forward a week and they were finally coming to build the pergola. The pieces were cut and stained of site to be assembled on the deck. Of course, it's the wrong stain color. In hindsight I should have refused it before assembly but I was barely awake and stunned that it was wrong. The pergola guy stated that they ran out of my color choice so they went with this one because it was close enough. I just can not get over the fact that no one thought I should be consulted about a color change. PB was on site at the time and assured me that his guys would restain it to my liking. It is supposed to be a dark chocolate brown. The color we got is bright cedar. Not even close. We also thought we would have 2 rows of slats as that is what is on their display. I had said I want what is on the display but without the stone pedestals. Well, we only got one row of slats. We really need the 2nd row so we are waiting for that to be done. It is supposed to be in the cutting and staining process now. Wonder what color it will be....

We have so many things still undone and add to it that PB is now referring to my insistence that he finish these things soon as "demands" and told me today that he has "bent over backwards" to accommodate me. I am frustrated to tears. I have no words. He told me to just enjoy my beautiful backyard. There's still mortar from the stone masons all over the deck, we have no privacy as our fence has not been put back by them, and we have no electrical outlets but the one original outlet on the house. I have not made my last payment but it only amounts to a little over $3k, but they owe me almost $2k of that back in credits. They have no motivation to get anything finished here. It seems they don't care about their reputation anymore. They recently got a couple of horrible reviews on their Facebook page. They have since deleted their Facebook page. That says a lot.
I have started telling local people not to use them. We will not be hiring them to finish the kitchen build next year, although we will probably still be trying to get them to finish this up...

Here's the PB display pergola

Here's ours. Pretty but the wrong color

No words, just ugh for the process. But the pergola will look great once finished and stained!
Good health to you all soon.
Thanks for updating us even though it's not all good news like you'd hope.

Once it's finished, you'll be so happy with it. Construction is stressful. There were so many things about my build I was not impressed with during the construction stage. I didn't insist on any changes. I have a few regrets, but all in all I'm very happy. Your pergola looks very sturdy and really adds to your outdoor space. I think you'll love it once it's all said and done. Ours still needs stained. We have to have that done ourselves. And our PB didn't repair our fence, we had to hire someone to do that even though they damaged it. Still, very much worth it and very happy with our build. Your pool is beautiful. I know it's been a long ordeal, though. Praying it all works out to your satisfaction.

I feel for you. Truly.

Our patio build was really stressful and took forever (almost a year) and the whole process was more disorganized with way more issues to resolve than our pool build has so far. We had a lot of miscommunications back then like it sounds you are having now. Near the end of construction we found out the builder had been transitioning the business to his son who was basically just learning things. By that time we were pretty down about everything related to it. The mishaps and problems kind of sucked the joy out of the completed project at the time...

But then it finally got done and the crews were gone, things were clean and we had time to just be in the space. We had friends over who simply thought it was beautiful and didn't notice the little things that stood out like sore thumbs to us at the time. Bit by bit we noticed them less as well.

I'm definitely not trying to minimize any of your issues, because again, I feel for you when I read them and know the stress of it firsthand. But I also know you've got a really beautiful space out there and that this winter, when you are sitting in that spa with a glass of wine and then next spring/summer when you open the pool when the weather is good, the memories of all of the headache will start to soften.

plat.

Please don't throw anything at me, but I like the cedar color better!

i'm sorry this whole process has been so painful. Do any of your local tv stations have a consumer reporter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am so sorry! That is so unreal!

How are the two mom's to be? I hope things are evening out for them. That has to be scary :( So sweet of you to be there for them even when you are not feeling well (like you are going to die sick :shock: that is bad!)

VERY telling about their facebook page for sure......I wonder if they are going out of business? Has his wife said anything to you at work or otherwise?

Wrong, just SO wrong how they are treating you! Gurrrrrrrrr!

:hug:

(sorry I have not answered sooner-no power from hurricane)

KIM!!! I have been thinking about you (and all our Fl peeps, but YOU especially!) I hope you are ok and the worst was just lost power! (((Hugs!)))

I FINALLY feel back to normal...just in time to enjoy a couple of days before I head back to work on Friday. I'm going to slow down on the OT for a while. Probably just do one extra shift per week if it's available.
The girls are doing ok. No hospital trips for anyone since Friday. Today was a decent day for both of them as was yesterday. They were both here to enjoy the pool party and both got to enjoy the food with just some intermittent nausea. It's still no fun, but it's more bearable than before. We are praying they have both come through the worst of it.

No, I haven't talked to his wife. She's not responsible for how he conducts himself. I think that would put her in an awkward position.

And no, they aren't even close to going out of business. They just place more value on really big, expensive, "rich" people builds ( > $200k). I'm small potatoes. At least that's the impression I get plus I only owe them <$3k. They have no real motivation to finish. More lucrative to put their people on jobs that are bringing in big bucks. We won't be doing business with them again. Nor will we give any good reviews or recommendations. I think word will get out and their stelae reputation will suffer. Actions have consequences eventually.

No words, just ugh for the process. But the pergola will look great once finished and stained!
Good health to you all soon.
Thanks for updating us even though it's not all good news like you'd hope.

Thank you, bmoreswim! I agree with the "ugh"!

Aww Denise! I'm praying for you and all of this! Also that you feel better soon!!

I appreciate the prayer, TM!

Once it's finished, you'll be so happy with it. Construction is stressful. There were so many things about my build I was not impressed with during the construction stage. I didn't insist on any changes. I have a few regrets, but all in all I'm very happy. Your pergola looks very sturdy and really adds to your outdoor space. I think you'll love it once it's all said and done. Ours still needs stained. We have to have that done ourselves. And our PB didn't repair our fence, we had to hire someone to do that even though they damaged it. Still, very much worth it and very happy with our build. Your pool is beautiful. I know it's been a long ordeal, though. Praying it all works out to your satisfaction.

Hi Janny! Thank you! It's the endless stress and huge amount of anxiety I feel that is really taking its toll. I appreciate the prayers!
The pergola IS beautiful they just need to FINISH it! :) We will probably have to repair/rebuild the neighbor's fence even though he said he would take care of it.
We did really enjoy the yard yesterday. Having the pergola finished with the 2nd slat layer for shade and the ceiling fan installed with the down lights and the outlets would have been even better. ;) Overall, we ARE blessed.

I feel for you. Truly.

Our patio build was really stressful and took forever (almost a year) and the whole process was more disorganized with way more issues to resolve than our pool build has so far. We had a lot of miscommunications back then like it sounds you are having now. Near the end of construction we found out the builder had been transitioning the business to his son who was basically just learning things. By that time we were pretty down about everything related to it. The mishaps and problems kind of sucked the joy out of the completed project at the time...

But then it finally got done and the crews were gone, things were clean and we had time to just be in the space. We had friends over who simply thought it was beautiful and didn't notice the little things that stood out like sore thumbs to us at the time. Bit by bit we noticed them less as well.

I'm definitely not trying to minimize any of your issues, because again, I feel for you when I read them and know the stress of it firsthand. But I also know you've got a really beautiful space out there and that this winter, when you are sitting in that spa with a glass of wine and then next spring/summer when you open the pool when the weather is good, the memories of all of the headache will start to soften.

plat.

Thanks for the encouragement, plat! I'm sure you are right. It is tough in the midst of it though.

I pray both our builds finish quickly and that your difficulties resolve well.

Please don't throw anything at me, but I like the cedar color better!

i'm sorry this whole process has been so painful. Do any of your local tv stations have a consumer reporter?

Lol, Kelly! Everyone has their own taste and preference! I do think it's very pretty, it just isn't part of my color scheme, so, to me, it looks odd/out of place.
Yes, there are 2 or 3 of them. If this isn't resolved soon, I may go that route as well as the BBB. Not quite there yet...

We are truly blessed! NO damage except to the food LOL I tried to keep it cold with ice but soon gave up on that. I will be shopping today after work since it seems as if they have all of the big trees off the lines in our neighborhood! ALL of our neighbors have power now!

We helped out with the horses in the neighborhood by allowing the owners come and get water out of the pond. We came up with a "filter" system for it even. We drilled holes in a 5 gal bucket (bottom) and put cotton batting in it. They would pour the water into that bucket first with it held over the bucket they had in the back of their truck. It took many trips BUT it worked. We tried to get the fire department to come with their tanker truck but they would not do it gurrrrrrr............I WILL be talking to someone about that. We have about 20 horses and a goat that needed water! 5 gals at a time is a pain!

Okay back to your pretty pool and area..........that pergola DOES need that second set of slats to have any real shade. It will be interesting to see what color it is :rolleyes:

I am SO happy to hear the moms are doing better. When are they due again? Bet it cannot come fast enough for them right now. :hug:

With the wife I agree you should not say anything to her but wondered if she said anything to you............but after what you said about the "big $ pools" I see where you are coming from BUT I am sorry but YOUR pool is big money to you and I! So sad they are acting like they are :(

:kim:

Beautiful pool! Thank you for sharing your experience. I was wondering how big your tanning ledge is and where the bubblers are placed? We are considering a much smaller pool, 11.5x30 and a 4x9 ledge running lengthwise in the pool, not a bump out, it will have to fit w/in the box &#55357;&#56853;. I'm not sure if I should give up that much space for a ledge. But the pictures you posted of the chairs on your ledge give me a good idea of how I could see ourselves using that space :)

Nini!!! I was doing a search for something and came across your pool. I just had to stop and say hello!!!! Your pool is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love it! Your water color is amazing!!! I hope you and your family are all doing well.

Take care,
Suz

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.