Staining

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I was bad about maintaining my acrylic spa this winter. What can be used to remove this staining on both the shell and the fixtures?
1679ab28e1f3a42a36b6dc26726c6691.jpg
afdb3e8e14148490cda9fa4b8ea9bbcb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that is rust then you can use an acid to remove it. Start with vinegar and move to diluted muriatic acid if you need more strength. Always add acid to water and never water to acid. 4 to 1 and move up as needed. Gloves and eye protection are always recommended.

I think ascorbic acid would be better. You don't want to hit already rusty metal with a strong acid. I think even CLR would be a better choice. Bar Keepers Friend liquid cleaner is excellent at removing rust stains from acrylic.

Go slow and easy and don't overdo it. As Danny said, use the least concentrated product you can, then step it up from there. After all is said and done, dump the spa water and start over.

Also...is it possible to replace the rusty fixtures, or remove, grnd, refinish and seal?

If the steel fixtures are easy to remove, you might also try hub cap chrome cream...I've successfully removed rust from high gloss chrome mid-century furniture with same.

I think ascorbic acid would be better. You don't want to hit already rusty metal with a strong acid. I think even CLR would be a better choice. Bar Keepers Friend liquid cleaner is excellent at removing rust stains from acrylic.

Go slow and easy and don't overdo it. As Danny said, use the least concentrated product you can, then step it up from there. After all is said and done, dump the spa water and start over.

Interesting, Bob and I were just discussing AA vs MA in PM. I'm losing 2 to 1. :)

I don't think vinegar is going to work well. It's acetic acid and it's a fairly weak acid / chelating agent. It's only good for calcium in my opinion and even then it's easily overwhelmed.

Try Bar Keepers Friend liquid cleaner. You apply it to a cloth or sponge and rub it on. Then rinse to clean.

I don't think vinegar is going to work well. It's acetic acid and it's a fairly weak acid / chelating agent. It's only good for calcium in my opinion and even then it's easily overwhelmed.

Try Bar Keepers Friend liquid cleaner. You apply it to a cloth or sponge and rub it on. Then rinse to clean.

A decent amount came off w/ the vinegar, but then again it could have been just the rubbing action. I still have tough spots to hit up so I'll look into that and the other products mentioned. Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.