High pump pressure

Rodley

Bronze Supporter
Feb 25, 2017
Birmingham alabama
I replaced a Hayward 1/2 hp superpump on a 20000 IG pool with a 1 hp Hayward Tristar ee,my pump pressure on the old pump ran at 12psi but the new one runs 20 psi after a good backwash on sand filter, nothing else has been changed on the pool and I am considering changing the impeller to a 3/4 hp one, What do you think and how will this effect stress on the motor and energy efficiency. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts or ideas

The additional psi at the gauge creates no extra strain on the pump........it doesn't care.

That said, you are wasting electricity with the larger pump. What is the gpm of your filter?

The gpm is 62 I have a Hayward S244t , my previous post was actually 1 1/2 p I omited the one 'probably important' should I even go smaller , would a 1/2 hp impeller be to small and with the 3/4 hp impeller am I still,loosing my efficiency,
so I wonder what is he best thing to do is now, sell and buy a new unit , or buy a new motor, thanks for your reply

Your old pump was probably max rated but your new pump is full rated. So, while it might seem like you got a smaller pump, your new pump is actually more powerful.

Going to the SPX3207C impeller would give you performance closer to your old pump.

You could go to a SPX3205C. That's for a 1 hp total hp pump. It would give you good flow and use less power. However, I don't think that the power use will drop down to the same as if you had a 1 hp total motor.

So am I loosing the value of this ee motor,I'm thinking Maby should just sell it and go with a vr like Hayward 303vsp or pentair 34042 or a 2 speed you could recommend. I am retiring soon so saving pennies and dependability are important to me, what do you think. I again thank you so much for your expertise

Last edited:
A VS pump can be a good choice. They're quiet at lower speed and use less power. However they require a bigger upfront investment that won't always pay off within the life of the pump. Local utilities or governments sometimes provide rebates for VS pumps, which can change the economic viability. Your electric rates make a difference. High rates pay off, low rates usually don't.

What are the specifics of your system?

Since you have a new pump installed, I would suggest getting the SPX3205C impeller and then checking the power draw with that impeller.

If the performance and power usage fit your requirements, I would go with that.

Thanks for your contribution. JamesW is one of the very best and has you headed down the right path.

His observation on VS pumps (they seldom pay you back economically) is important. Equally important, I think, is almopst everyone on this forum who has a VS REALLY loves it and would not change.

My bet is you will hear from others about the benefits of a VS.

That filter is a bit small for the size of your pool so I would keep the flow rate from the pump down around 50 gpm. Of course, going forward with a 80-100 gpm filter would really be nice but you have to decide if that fits the budget.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am chewing on the idea of just going with replacing with a 2 speed pump, could you recommend the Ao smith with the built in controller /motor and what hp would you recommend' I don't have a controller and like the idea of having one on the motor.
I thing I would be able to sell a low hour pump that has run 4 hr a day for 3 months , what would you value the pump model sp32100EE at a a good price thanks, I know I am overthinking this ordeal but I want to get it right, I am in the heat of Alabama and would like to recirculate my pool longer on slow speed if it is true that helps to reduce algae blooms even with proper chemical parameters and save sone money

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.