Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why is ideal range on test strips so low for FC

1. Back To Top    #1

Why is ideal range on test strips so low for FC

The ideal range shows 1 to 3 on test strips for FC.

What rational is this based on ?
    25K gal, plaster, 1.0 jandy spa pump, Two 1.5 gallon pool pumps, DE Filter, Glass Tile sheer descent and spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why is ideal range on test strips so low for FC

Because the pool industry doesn't recognized the FC/CYA relationship. Even though its been known since the mid 70's. If they did recongize it and admit that it works, they wouldn't be able to sell all of the high priced chemicals they do, and they would go out of business.

Im sure you know though, that in any case, those test strips are terribly inaccurate. The TF100 test kit is the only way to go.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Steve,

I'm pretty sure that test strips were invented by an Aggie at "Collge Station"...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP,

Adding to what Dave said above 1-3 would be ideal if you didnt need stabilizer (Cya) but you do because most pools outdoors lose that much or more just from sunlight exposure and Cyanuric Acid protects it from UV degradation. But the higher your Cya, th higher your FC level needs to be. Please jump into pool school and begin with the ABCs. Ask all the questions you might need too, and there will always be folks around who are happy to help out. Although we do things differently than most "industry standards" say, there is a lot of science behind it, and it works exceptionally well.

Jim R.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Steve,

I'm pretty sure that test strips were invented by an Aggie at "Collge Station"...

Jim R.
    I wouldn't doubt it ! With all these Aggies flags around here I would think A&M invented everything ! Just been in area for about a year. Moved here from Pennsylvania ! Decided there is no way we could take the heat without a pool !!
    25K gal, plaster, 1.0 jandy spa pump, Two 1.5 gallon pool pumps, DE Filter, Glass Tile sheer descent and spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Jim/Dave,

I think then people get in trouble with algae that use pucks and the strips. Everything looks okay to them based in strip ideal level, but the fc needs to be much higher as they build cya.

Im using bleach. For me the big problem with pucks is need to drain on occasion. The water here is really basic and drain and refill costs water but also you have to use lots of acid due to water from tap being so basic.

My plan is to keep cya on low range, around 40. I don't want it going to 60 to 70 because I am afraid of higher fc being needed and dog and my 2 year old occasionally drinking out of pool. Both ignore my orders. I'm not sure if fc being higher can cause risk, so I'm keeping cya on low side to be careful.

7. Back To Top    #7

Based on my 7 years of Texas experience...........if your pool has a lot of full sun..........60 CYA ain't a bad number to minimize FC consumption. Play with it and see what your daily loss is.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

i'm in DFW, and i lose 3ppm each day in the summer. CYA is 50, and i try to keep my FC between 5-8ppm.

15K IG Plaster (1991), Pentair
    FNS 60- DE;Centurion 2.20HP, PB4 Booster Pump. spa spillover, Polaris 380, TF-100; SpeedStir​

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Hi, Steve,

You must've come from PA through texas university (tu) based on your spelling of College Station.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Dave,

That was my point... except mine was a little more subtle ...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

11. Back To Top    #11

This I where I'm aiming. Last year I kept it around 40 and would take fc to about 4 each night.

it worked pretty good, no algae but I would lose lots of fc.
    Last edited by steviek; 02-27-2017 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Respond to wrong post

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Hi, Steve,

You must've come from PA through texas university (tu) based on your spelling of College Station.
    Lol !!

To tell you full story, I grew up in Canada, lived in Bermuda for 4 years, then PA for 12 years and now College Station for about a year.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by steviek View Post
    This I where I'm aiming. Last year I kept it around 40 and would take fc to about 4 each night.

it worked pretty good, no algae but I would lose lots of fc.
    at CYA 40, i would keep mine between 5-8 just to keep a margin for error.

Mine drifts down to 5 each evening, and i would pour in 90 oz of bleach in after the sun is off the pool.
    in 30 minutes or so, FC is back up to 8. Maybe, once night a week, i might pour in the whole jug when the 100 degree days arrive.
    This gives me 12 hours of sanitizing without sun to compromise the chlorine.
    12-14 hours of Texas sun here each summer.

FNS 60- DE;Centurion 2.20HP, PB4 Booster Pump. spa spillover, Polaris 380, TF-100; SpeedStir​

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by 7snorkel View Post
    at CYA 40, i would keep mine between 5-8 just to keep a margin for error.

Mine drifts down to 5 each evening, and i would pour in 90 oz of bleach in after the sun is off the pool.
    in 30 minutes or so, FC is back up to 8. Maybe, once night a week, i might pour in the whole jug when the 100 degree days arrive.
    This gives me 12 hours of sanitizing without sun to compromise the chlorine.
    12-14 hours of Texas sun here each summer.

Should I worry about 5-8 on high side ? Reason I ask is I have dog that drinks from pool and my two year old will drink on occasion from pool despite our best efforts to stop her.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by steviek View Post
    Should I worry about 5-8 on high side ? Reason I ask is I have dog that drinks from pool and my two year old will drink on occasion from pool despite our best efforts to stop her.
    No cause for concern on either matter.