freed1b

Sep 21, 2015
Ontario
Hi all my pool builder is also recommending Jandy products see below- is that equipment a good choice? Also what would be better - an automation with PDA or skip the PDA and go with a wifi and phone app aproach. Any help is appreciated.

Jandy 1 variable speed pump
Jandy 340 cartridge filter
Jandy JX126 260000btu
Jandy Aqua pure digital salt system
Jandy automation and PDA

Thx for your help

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Jandy seems to be in the top recommended brands here, and they absolutely make great pool valves.

In my signature below this post, there's a link "read before posting" which includes tips for getting the best possible advice here. One is to add your pool size (gallons, dimensions, shape), if it has a spa, mention that, and anything else you'd like to add. That would help people chip in.

Free,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool questions.. :snorkle:

In my opinion, the key to a good automation system is having the same brand of equipment for all the electronic equipment that needs to talk to each other, like the pump, the SWCG and the control center. All the major brands are about the same, so it becomes a "my Chevy is better than your Ford" type of thing..

I have Pentair system, which allows me to use my phone, tablet, or computer to control the pool. To be honest, I use the PC a lot, and almost never use my phone. But, I don't have a Spa, and that might be the reason why.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Also, you might want to consider going with a larger cartridge filter and salt system. I have the Aquapure 1400 and only need to set it at around 10-15% to maintain my chlorine level. That means it runs less and is less wear on the cell. A larger cartridge will mean less cleaning. My heater is also 400,000 btu. You need to get model numbers for all of your equipment so we can really see what you are getting.

With phone and computer access, I fail to see a need for a dedicated third device to control the pool. Make sure you clearly define what all you expect to control independently up front. I was in for a surprise when my 'I want to control the pool features from my phone' only meant lights and pumps when it was all said and done. It wasn't an expensive oversight on my part, but could have been depending on original controller choice.

Free,

bard has hit the nail on the head... If the infrastructure is not built into the pool, it does not matter what type of control system you get..

So if you have a waterfall and a bubble, and the pool builder put them on one pipe, then after the pool and deck is in it might be impossible for you to control them independently..

Automation is not magic, it can only control what is controllable..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.