My Sliding Patio Railings

TexasDeano

Gold Supporter
Aug 13, 2015
Frisco, Texas
When I started working with PB's to design my new pool, I have several requirements. Once of which led me down a path to what I think is an interesting feature. I wanted to be able to preserve a good part of my yard for my dogs while keeping them out of the pool when I'm not in it. There is a dog door in the door on the patio so the dogs have 24/7 access to the patio. I also didn't want to have to go through a normal gate to get back and forth to the pool when I am entertaining on the patio.

So I came up with the idea to have railing on the patio to separate the patio and side yard from the pool. But I made one 10 ft. section of railing sliding by hanging it on a track. So the entire section above the steps slides out of the way when we are enjoying the patio and pool area, and the closes back up to keep the dogs out when we're not. The dogs can exit the side of the patio into the side yard. I described my idea to my fence guy and to my surprise, he immediately got and did a heck of the job of making it a reality. I could not be happier with how it turned out.

Of course my dogs always to want to go where they are not allowed so they are very excited when I slide open the railing and they get to explored the forbidden land.

Here are some pics.

Closed (sad dogs) -

20161227_093706.png

Opened (happy dogs)-

20161227_093628.png

Side yard (the dogs domain) -

20161227_093633.png

That is a really nice setup for working with your pooches. We have a sliding railing section on our deck to keep the toddlers (not anymore) from tumbling down them. It worked great and I know why you like it.

I'm curious about the track used. Do you know what fence guy used or have a pic of the track? I'm wanting to do a sliding patio door on my deck and don't want to spend a small fortune on barn door hardware. This looks great and great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious about the track used. Do you know what fence guy used or have a pic of the track? I'm wanting to do a sliding patio door on my deck and don't want to spend a small fortune on barn door hardware. This looks great and great idea!

I don't know for sure. I had some bookmarks of some sites I found on the Internet so I could show him what I wanted. But they were all fairly expensive. He quoted me for the entire project even before he found the hardware so I'm not sure what it cost him. He had a huge catalog of fence and gate hardware that he ordered it from. I'll take some close up pictures this weekend and post them. But it is something like this (there are some other examples on this site as well):

http://www.realcarriagedoors.com/hardware-cat.php?page=sliding-hw#classic-barn-door-hardware

I don't know for sure. I had some bookmarks of some sites I found on the Internet so I could show him what I wanted. But they were all fairly expensive. He quoted me for the entire project even before he found the hardware so I'm not sure what it cost him. He had a huge catalog of fence and gate hardware that he ordered it from. I'll take some close up pictures this weekend and post them. But it is something like this (there are some other examples on this site as well):

http://www.realcarriagedoors.com/hardware-cat.php?page=sliding-hw#classic-barn-door-hardware

Thanks so much for your reply! I was hoping it might have been something I hadn't yet come across. Unfortunately, it is the barn door hardware, and I just cannot justify that expense for some doors on my porch. :) But, again, it is a great idea and well executed! Cute pups too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.