What have you found in the skimmer basket?

Crystal, we use the disposable hairnets from Amazon. I think it's 100 for about $5-$6. We change them daily if there is debris and use them year round. It helps keep your filter clean. My first purchase was 100. We ran through those in a little over a month. My next purchase was 600.
They are easy to tear, though, but the actual skimmer socks made for skimmers are expensive.

I have found, frogs, mice, and wolf/water spiders but the absolute worst is the black widow spiders that love to make their homes on the skimmer cover and you cant see them till you stick your finger in and pick up the cover. Its gotten to the point that i dont cover my skimmer anymore. Is there any downside to leaving the cover off? Anyone know a way to keep the black widows away? They seem to love the deep end ladder, under the diving board, and the skimmer covers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is funny here. We seem to have seasons of bugs. Right now it is mole cricket season. I had six in the skimmer yesterday. A month ago, it was small black beetle season. Before that it was ladybug season. It is my first year with the pool so I am still learning. Luckily my pool is 4.5' above ground so I do not have to worry about many animals.

Worst thing out of current pool was a dead rat... uck. Since I took the hollies out of the yard, the rats started going to the neighbors' pools for a drink-- they used to hide from our terriers by running up the hollies, which I hated due to the sharp leaves.... ouch if you go barefoot as much as I do! When we lived in San Antonio, we got toads, a squirrel, grass snake....

And yes, you can keep your pool open in the DFW area year round, we do, even when it snows.
DSC02295.jpg

Oh my , I was just tooling around the forums and found this:eek: I cant believe it-lmao.....well I found a dead young squirrel in my skimmer basket.....it was pretty traumatic for me but im sure not as bad as it was for that poor squirrel.

I found this yesterday, and was disappointed. Texas Long Nose juvenile. Not rare, but they certainly arent great in number. Poor Fella was just cruising around then wound up here and drowned. Aside from this, I had a boatload of sawdust/chips from a major tree trim job we had done. Ran the skimmers 3-4 times some of them yesterday.

I've found frogs, mice, chipmunk, cicadas, snakes, a baby bunny (thankfully still alive I took him to the vet that treats wild animals). Unlucky for me I find all this junk of course when my husband isn't around to take care of it!

I could not and would not live without "The Skimmer Angel"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A6DHCO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jN1czb47179NS

I hope the link works if not just search on Amazon it pops right up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.