Skimmer Leak Repair Advice (Sort of)

cbass

Aug 12, 2014
Chandler/AZ
So it is a skimmer and it is leaking and I need some ideas on how to best repair, but it's actually the return to the pool.

The Setup:
Admiral S20 skimmer with the flow reversed.

The return water to the pool is attached to the skimmer. When the pump is running it fills the skimmer with water and then it flows down creating what looks like a waterfall.

33063031495_e666ca70fc_c.jpg

One of the ports is capped off and the other port is for water flow.

32217353854_2a2ffbdaea_c.jpg

I have dug up the pipe all the way to the skimmer.

33063031665_2c058277a5_c.jpg

I haven't broken through the concrete encasing, however, the leak is not coming from any of the pipe joins. So it is leaking from where the pipe enters the skimmer, the skimmer itself, or the capped pipe.

I have capped off the ports from the top and filled the skimmer with water and the water level stays the same so it appears the skimmer body is fine, but it is leaking from one of the ports.

The ports on the skimmer are threaded. Here is a picture of a brand new one:

33063200695_86654488fe_c.jpg

I have considered cutting the pipe and trying to unscrew the pipe from the skimmer bottom and thread in a new pipe. However, there appears that some sealant or something else was used on the threads and it seems to be hard so I am not sure if I will be able to unscrew it. Any idea what type of sealant may have been used and my chances of unscrewing it?

The other thing I have considered is using an epoxy putty. However, if I use an epoxy putty I am pretty sure once hardened I will have no chance of unscrewing the pipe from the skimmer?

I have also considered trying to move the pipe to the other port but it also appears to be threaded in with something that has hardened.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Since the concrete is not giving me a full view of the bottom should i chip away the concrete from the bottom? If I do, then can i leave it once done or should I need to add concrete to the bottom?

The other thing I noticed is the glue from the joints leaking down appears to be gray in color and not blue. Does anyone know if pvc cement can be gray?

C,

Yes, gray PVC glue is slow setting so the plumber can turn the pipe while putting things in place.

Why do you think there is a leak? Do you have a puddle some where?

How much water do you lose in a week?

I "assume" you have other skimmers that work like normal skimmers where they suck water in???

Just want to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before tearing up any concrete.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I do have another skimmer that does suck, although it is unique as well. As best I can tell it is a A&A Venturi QuikSkim which has both a venturi pipe and the optional connection.

QuikSkim | A and A Manufacturing | Pool Cleaning Products

There is no doubt about the leak. With the auto fill shut off the water level would drop below the regular skimmer in 2-3 days.

After I dug all that up when I turn on the pool pump and the water flows through that return it takes less than a minute for water to visibly pool.

After using a stopwatch to time for 2 min this is how much water has leaked.

32937263621_0e22197ee2_z.jpg

Before I dug all the pipe out I dug 12-15 inches into the ground and let the pool equipment run and the hole I dug filled with water:

32681934400_376a5a7c4b_z.jpg

So it looks like it was a good thing that I did not bust through the concrete as it doesn't appear the leak is coming from the plug or pipe, but from the grout between the skimmer and tile.

I bought a 2" sewer cover that I used to screw into each plug then I took a garden hose and filled the skimmer from the top. When both holes were plugged the leak was still there so that should eliminate the leak coming from the plug or pipe.

32220476764_68f4feb4cc_c.jpg

I filled the skimmer until water started to flow out the waterfall hole. The water level when I stopped was at this height.

32684144010_c16d0b877e_c.jpg

I let it sit and the water level would drop to right above the top of the ring and would sit there for hours and not drop any lower.

32684143850_1b1b648089_c.jpg

It seems the leak is coming from the grout between the skimmer and tile. However, I will have to confirm with a dye test.

32220476504_93ebf73612_c.jpg

If it is leaking from the grout area, then any suggestions on what to use to seal that area?

C,

Glad you found where it was leaking.. I'm no expert in this area, but if I were doing it I'd probably try some clear silicone caulk.

Let's see if anyone else has a better idea...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do you think silicone caulk will survive the constant flow of water over it for hours a day and if so, then for how long?

I have considered silicone caulk to seal as well as epoxy putty.

The other idea I have is to just run the water through a bypass i build. For that i would get a pvc nipple that threads into the skimmer and run it to a 90 degree elbow then run it past the grout outside the waterfall mouth.

The only thing with that solution is that the waterfall will now be very narrow. To fix that I am thinking I can attach the 2" pipe to a down spout.

genova-products-45344-s-d-downspout-adapter-3-x-4-x-4-pvc_2460608.jpg

However, since it's a down spout I am not sure if it's suitable for pressure.

Since where it is leaking is not pressurized, i would think silicon caulk should do sufficiently to keep it from leaking water.

Just make sure it gets a day or 2 to fully cure/dry.

The skimmer in my last house/pool had crack going all the way around it (from freeze damage) and i sealed that with silicon caulk, it never
leaked.

In case someone finds this thread I would like to post the resolution. The lexel sealant has worked to seal the leak. How long it will hold is TBD.

As I post pictures please ignore the shameful caulking job. Sadly, it is the best I can do.

Originally I just sealed at the bottom of the skimmer.

33181496162_23e9478d95_b.jpg

This slowed the leak significantly, but did not stop it completely.

I took another look and it appeared the sides of the skimmer also had cracks and the water was probably seeping out the sides.

32493938584_3904821a18_b.jpg

33181495592_7bd4f71c81_b.jpg

So then i just decided to add more caulk and cover the entire skimmer perimeter.

33181496432_cd929f751a_b.jpg

After doing a test run there is no water leaking!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.