Help!! Suggestions for liner that blends best w blue/grey steps

I have researched and searched...and researched and searched.

We have not begun our dig, but papers are signed to begin next month. We have a bit of time to make final selections. Ultimately, I want a liner pool that looks like gunite. I am sure that makes me VERY unique :rolleyes: (eye roll)

Due to research and our PB's recommendation we will be going with the fiberglass steps. Between the traffic, the rippling/wrinkling, slickness, potential tears, etc. this is my Husband's non-negotiable. Having to forego the vinyl over steps, I am feeling like my gunite appearance goals will best happen with the blue or grey steps. (I believe my PB uses Latham). I want to make sure that they blend as well as possible with the liner. I am a very detail oriented person and if it is "off" it's going to make me crazy. I have heard for ease in care, etc. I want to go a bit darker rather than lighter liner, but I live in the midwest and I don't want my pool to look like a pond. For me, the white steps with a deep blue colored pool are not an option.
My Thoughts:
Blue coordinating liner with blue granite steps- seems too blue, I would want lighter than what is marketed together, but what works?
Grey coordinating liner with grey granite steps- seems cohesive, but that it comes out almost green? This is where I am leaning, but I am worried about the pond effect.

I would love for someone to offer some advice or suggestions to ease my concerns. So I can stop making myself crazy!
SaveSave
SaveSave

Our grey liner (Latham) gives the pool a beautiful blue-green color. Definitely not pond like at all IMO.

Immediately after we finished filling it last September

This was a couple days ago when it was overcast near dusk.

- - - Updated - - -

We have vinyl covered steps. Here is a pic from when we just finished filling.

Keep in mind that picture taken with no deck just after filling is artificially green from the fill water (fill water almost always looks kinda green). A grey liner pool will have no green tint to it, just steel blue as in pics 1 and 3.

Did you take a wander through this thread? Vinyl Liner Pattern Roundup Project - Post Pic Name Of Your Liner

Retrofitting our (white) stairs would have cost as mch as the liner and install, so we're stuck with white. But whatever liner pattern you get, your stairs will outlive it, so choose wisely ;) Eg. Your NEXT liner will have to match too!

My pattern, Reef (only avail in Canada but there are ways to get it if you wanted via SPC distributors) would have looked nicest with gray steps...we dd paint the coping gray, changed the drains, etc. It helped change the overall look/feel ;)

Whichever you choose also consider about when you change the liner out someday (hopefully 20+ years from now). If you go blue are you limited to what will match compared to going with grey steps? I'm a guy so I really don't know. If the water is wet and clear it looks good to me, haha. I have a darker liner now and I used to have a light blue one on a prior pool. The dark was a nice change after 13 yrs with the light color. But I may get sick of the dark in time.

I vote for the grey option. I looks great to me.

I'm not trying to change your mind but I wanted to mention for others who read of slippery vinyl steps and wonder. I almost skipped the liner over steel steps b/c I had a friend with that and their steps were slippery. I talked to my pb about it and he guaranteed it was not an issue if I took care of the pool. I went with it and never had an issue. If you follow the advice here re: chem balance you won't have a problem with any type of steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So u can probably find my old post about the step issue. My hubby was the same! We finally picked a builder that specializes in vinyl over steps. I love the look! Also, we will be getting a tread added to the steps so they are not slippery. I am looking at grey liners too!!!! That thread above helps some, but I really want to see more pics of the grey.

Keep in mind that picture taken with no deck just after filling is artificially green from the fill water (fill water almost always looks kinda green). A grey liner pool will have no green tint to it, just steel blue as in pics 1 and 3.
Oh my god, I know this post is old. But I'm curious why does fill water almost always look green? We just had our pool filled with fill water and it looks kind of green! We keep shocking it. Will the green tint eventually go away??? I wish I just used my hose!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.