Pentair Minimax 400 main supply/return header is cracked

May 17, 2016
Fort Worth
After turning on my equipment at the pad this afternoon and subsequently proceeding to re-enact the surf scene from Escape from L.A. with Kurt Russell and Peter Fonda, I have determined that the main supply/return header of my Minimax 400 is cracked. Has this ever happened to anyone?

This manifold is rated for 125 psi. I would like to think that the system did not exceed that pressure, largely because my DE filter is rated for 50 and I've never seen the water above 38 (on a really nasty grid in need of changing.) I have identified the replacement part. It is a Pentair 070985 (link at end of post) A few questions I am curious about:

- Is this weldable? I think this may compromise the manufacturer pressure rating, but surely it has been done. On that note, given that the replacement part is bronze, I don't know if this is the ideal material for welding.
- Is the replacement part easy to reinstall, or would I be better off calling someone? I would rate my experience as novice to intermediate.
- Should the scope of my concerns be limited to just this header, or should I be worried about other factors related to this issue, such as possible corrosion in the system? I wouldn't want to replace this then have it happen somewhere else because the entire system is being eaten alive.
- Another concern I have is when this header/manifold burst, that I could have compromised or caused potential issues in the electrical system.

My last 2 concerns are basically just me not wanting to spend $300-600 and then have this thing break 1-3 weeks later.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any help you may have to offer.

Richard

Header:
https://www.poolzoom.com/catalog/pr...RIdBIjw24_WX9Tnc9LfwWZ8OW47IOAO5WzhoCgUDw_wcB

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 23
I have never seen or heard of anyone having this part welded to fix it. Many times just trying to get the bolts out they break and that's it. You're living on borrowed time with this unit to be truthful. There is no guarantee that if fixed will hold for any period of time.

It would be wise to spend your money on a new unit and that is what I would recommend to any customer that came to me with a problem like this.

Thanks for the input. I generally agree with your approach as the heater is likely approaching its end of life. At the moment, we're just trying to make our money go a little further for the next 2 years or so, and the prices to replace and install, plus service fees, are a little higher than I expected. A local dealer quoted us $3500 for a replacement, installed, which I thought was a bit steep.

I actually patched this up with JB Waterweld for the time being but have hesitations about leaving it running unattended if the patch decides to let up one day. I am considering replacing the supply/return manifold above, but my main concern is still internal corrosion, and more importantly, whether or not that internal corrosion, if present, extends beyond just this manifold and is present throughout the system. In this case, it becomes the popular cartoon image of plugging a leak then getting sprayed in the eye with a subsequent new leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.