Question about SunPlay

Feb 16, 2017
Dunwoody, GA
Has anyone had any experience ordering from this on-line pool company? I am looking at a Dolphin dx6, and the local pool builder (Atlas Pools) has it in stock for $1400 (with 3 yr warranty). SunPlay has it listed on line for $1029...quite a difference. Supposedly you get the same 3 year warranty buying it from SunPlay, but I have to ask myself why the huge difference in price? (Another on-line dealer has it listed for $1400). Some negative feedback I have read about SunPlay said that purchasers received used or damaged stock and SunPlay wouldn't take it back. Other reviews have said what a great experience they had dealing with SunPlay. Is this a case of "buyer beware"? Thanks

Doug,

I have bought several items from SunPlay and they were just what I expected. I have had no problems with them at all.

The main problem with on-line reviews is that you are likely to get more bad ones than good ones, because only when things go wrong do most people write reviews..

Jim R.

There are exceptions to the warranty rules. My Doheny's Discovery, S200, was repaired under warranty by a local pool store. Also, Maytronics has repair centers that any unit can be shipped to for repair. Sunplay has a brick and mortar store, too.

This is all good to read. I will have to look into warranties more before making my purchase as I plan to buy all of my equipment online.

PumpPentairIntelliflo11018$919Pool Supply World
Automation + SWGPentairEasyTouch 8 + IC40520545$1,659SunPlay
FilterPentairClean & ClearCCF420$748.44Superior
AutomationPentairScreenlogic522104$369SunPlay
HeaterRaypakDigital 400k14941$2,199.99Pool Supply World

Thanks everyone for your replies. When an on-line company is a $100 or so cheaper than a brick and mortar store, that's understandable. But nearly $400 cheaper?? I'll call SunPlay tomorrow and make sure about the warranty..then may see if Atlas Pools will at least come close to that price (would rather give my money to the local businesses if I can). Also, Maytronics is based in Norcross, Ga, which is less than 10 miles from me so hopefully any repair work won't be a hassle. One other question....I don't remember the name of it but it is a solar powered machine that skims your pool (retail about $500 or so) and supposedly is a big time saver (I have lots of trees in my back yard and manually skim the pool everyday...not a big deal, but if you can get a robot to clean the pool and another to skim the pool, why not?). Anyone have one of these? Thanks again.

I haven't heard of that solar powered skimmer. We have lots of trees also, pics in my pool thread link in sig. What I do during spring and fall to combat the tree assault is to run my VS pump at 1100 rpm 24x7. This keeps most of the debris in the skimmers and off the bottom. When the trees are busy I can empty the skimmer baskets 6 or 8 times per day. My pump uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm and at 10.25c/kWh it costs less than 12 bucks per month to run my pump 24x7.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So lets go run around in the bushes here and explain some things.

Doheny's Discovery is apparently manufactured by Maytronics but not sold buy them to the consumer market. It is my understanding that the warranty you receive is not from Maytronics but from Doheny.

Yes its true that Maytronics does sell some items for internet sale but not the Dolphin. In an internet sale Maytronics says there is no warranty on a dolphin.

Two things I want to point out.

First, in many states (not all) when you purchase something if you get a warranty from the manufacturer under state law the seller is required to honor that warranty also.

Second, in most states (almost all) you automatically receive two warranties unless specifically disclaimed (again how specific depends on your state), a warranty of "merchantability" and a warranty of fitness for a specific purpose. In English those mean that the product is fit for its ordinary intended use and that if the seller specifically says it can do something or has specific features it can do that that have those features.

Those UCC warranties often allow you to negotiate with a seller to do work or reach a result you may not be entitled to under their express warranty conditions.

The Doheny's Discovery Robot warranty is from Maytronics, not Doheny's. The warranty information specifies to take the unit to an authorized Maytronics dealer for repair and not to send it to Doheny's.

Gary,

How did Sunply treat the warranty? Do they provide their own, or do they register you with Maytronics? Also, I remember the name of that solar skimmer I asked about in an earlier post...it is a Solar Breeze NX. Few reviews I have seen on it is very positive.

Thanks for your input on your experience with Sunplay.

I had the same experience with my Doheny discovery. Called Maytronics for a bad power supply and gave them the serial #. Maytronics looked it up and verified it was a Doheny Discovery and then asked for my address so they could ship me a new one.

Bought my Triton Plus and a FlowVis Jandy retrofit from them. Free ship on orders over $75 and no sales tax unless you live in Utah so this made it cheaper than Amazon or anyone else I could find. Shipping was fast and both items work perfectly.

On a side note, they have a great robot decoder ring:
The Truth About Pool Cleaners: What Your Pool Store Isn't Telling You | Sunplay

Basically a list of all the robots and their equivalents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.