Hayward Pool Heater FAIL (with pic)--new Heat Exchanger Available?

Av8

Jan 3, 2015
Nevada
Well I had a major Hayward Heat Master 250 ED2 pool heater fail at the rear manifold (cast iron part) yesterday (cracked big time). This is a circa 1990s Hayward pool heater (I bought the property in 2011). Once i got all the screws out during disassembly here is what I saw (I laid everything back down just for picture perspective)!

Here is a pick of the rear manifold FAILURE (notice the stream of water out the crack in the top left of rear manifold):
IMG_1450.jpg

So now my question. Does Hayward make replacement parts for these old Heat Master Heaters? I could not find a cast iron rear-manifold anywhere out there. I did find some replacement heat exchangers but they look like they are made of plastic in the manifold area and that begs the question--will they fit? Here is a link to one I found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Hayward+HAXHXA1253+H250+Heat+Exchanger+Assembly+Replacement+for+Hayward+H-Series+Ed2+Style+Pool+Heater

Interestingly, it does not really say its compatible and leaves out firm confirmation for an old Heat Master ED2 heater. Anyone know if this is a form fit and function replacement? I called Hayward and they said, "Hayward Heat Master 250 ED2 is no longer supported, you'll have to buy a new heater." OUCH!

Anyway, replacing just a heat exchanger will save about $1500 (compared to purchasing a new Heater)......

When going up in BTU's make sure the gas line will support the larger heater. I have dealt with many customers who went up and had problems. Going up only 50,000 BTU's should not be a problem but be cautious

Update (April 2019): Hayward H300FDN Universal H-Series 300,000 BTU Pool and Spa Heater, Natural Gas, Low Nox has been outstanding. Existing Gas line had plenty of capacity - confirmed by local Gas Company tech on site. Overall, very pleased!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.