Newbe Needs Robot

Paul & Crystal

Silver Supporter
May 25, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
Hello,

I need expert advice on which robot will be best for my pool. I am closing on a house March 9 that has an IG concrete 53 X 25 rectangle. From the readings I know I want a robot. I've shopped a little, but most say they are for a maximum 20 X 40 pool. Also, I notice most have a 50 foot cord. That is not even as long as the pool. So can someone recommend some excellent brands and models for this large pool? I noticed in another post that a duel action is better. I'm pretty clueless on these and it is a large expense so I want to make a good decision.

Thanks!

Crystal

That is a large pool. I think at worst you will have to put your controller closer to the pool. If you can put your controller closer to the pool, and in the middle, according to my geometry you will only need 37' to each corner. Note I did not factor depth and it is probably not recommended to be close to the pool (10 feet away minimum I think), but still quite a bit less than 50'. My pool is roughly 36' x 17' and I have a Polaris Sport with a 50' cord. I park the controller up against the wall of the house which is about 12' away from the main pool. That means it is about 36' to each corner. I only unwind about 65% of the cord and have no issues. Don't know if that helps you or not.

BTW, I do like the Polaris models. Mine does the sides and water line. It also navigates my pool quite well, which has lots of steps and cabo shelf.

Thanks! Putting the unit near the center of the pool makes sense. I hadn't thought about that. There is an electrical outlet near the center so I should be ok on cord length. I'm also concerned about having a robot that has easy access to the filters for easy cleaning. I'm looking at all different models now including Dolphin and Polaris. Right now I'm considering the Dolphin Quantum. I looks like it has easy access to the filters from the top. Does anyone have experience with this one? Let me know how it works for you.

I got the Doheny's Discovery last year, same as Dolphin/Maytronics S200. It has a 60' cord and has a very easy to clean top loading filter basket. There are lots of folks on TFP who are very happy with this style of cleaner. More here, First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery and there is also more discussion about my cleaner in my pool thread, link in my sig.

You have to understand that is a very big pool. If you get a normal dolphin or whatever. It will take forever to clean as they move pretty slow. A normal blue diamond is pretty quick but the commercial version is built for the demands of larger pools.

Rob,

I really like the NC74S because of the dual motor and the zero turn and the large basket...and the price point as well. I'm a little concerned about having to turn it over to access the bag, but the other features are very attractive to me. Is there no way this model will work for my pool? If I must go up to a larger unit...I guess I will look at the SmartPool Big Foot for starters. I'm not sure it has the same dual motor and zero turn features that I want. I can go up to $1200 if I really have to. Did you see a pic of the pool? It is just a large rectangle. There are no shelves etc. I'm not sure of the depth yet...at first I guessed 12 feet but that is probably wrong. I will find out for sure on Thursday when we do the pool inspection.

I have also checked out the Dolphin Quantum, the Hayward Tiger Shark, The Dolphin DX4S all of which I could do. I guess none of these really take me up to commercial grade either. But $1200 is the max budget. I find it irritating that Dolphin apparently does not honor their warranty if you buy on line...but I guess I can purchase at pool store if the price is comparable.

P.S. I just cant do the pink and blue cotton candy colors on the Blue Diamond....it's a deal killer. I know I know...but I just cant stand it!!! I gotta have a more classic look.

Crystal

ok...I'm expanding search to commercial grade:

Aqua Products DuraMAX Jr. T-RC Commercial Inground Swimming Pool Robotic Cleaner $1360

Dolphin 9999389-BL4 Heavy Duty HD Commercial Robotic Pool Cleaner $1598

Dolphin C3 Commercial Robotic Pool Cleaner $1099....hmmm...comes with caddy too...says it does pools up to 60 feet

These are all on Ebay

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately, budget and monster pool do not mix. I have a nc74s. I love it, but they are not built super well for sure. They are also not very fast. You will seriously be doing 3 cycles just to clean that monster pool. The blue diamond remote I had before was fast cleaner and a very good cleaner. Thats why I recommended the commercial one for you as even the regular blue diamond remote is not made for a pool that big.

The C3 does look like it could be decent. It appears to have the split brushes too so it can turn on the ground easily. The only problem I see with that one is it uses cartridges so you will be cleaning often. I get a lot of leaves and the nice thing about the nc74s is it has a huge bag that holds a ton of leaves. One other thing to consider is that if you went with the blue diamond normal remote unit, it has 4 years or 500 cycles and 1 cycle on that one probably would get the pool clean as its quite quick. The others are typically 2 years. I would probably consider getting an extended warranty if you went with the C3.

Rob,

I really like the NC74S because of the dual motor and the zero turn and the large basket...and the price point as well. I'm a little concerned about having to turn it over to access the bag, but the other features are very attractive to me. Is there no way this model will work for my pool? If I must go up to a larger unit...I guess I will look at the SmartPool Big Foot for starters. I'm not sure it has the same dual motor and zero turn features that I want. I can go up to $1200 if I really have to. Did you see a pic of the pool? It is just a large rectangle. There are no shelves etc. I'm not sure of the depth yet...at first I guessed 12 feet but that is probably wrong. I will find out for sure on Thursday when we do the pool inspection.

I have also checked out the Dolphin Quantum, the Hayward Tiger Shark, The Dolphin DX4S all of which I could do. I guess none of these really take me up to commercial grade either. But $1200 is the max budget. I find it irritating that Dolphin apparently does not honor their warranty if you buy on line...but I guess I can purchase at pool store if the price is comparable.

P.S. I just cant do the pink and blue cotton candy colors on the Blue Diamond....it's a deal killer. I know I know...but I just cant stand it!!! I gotta have a more classic look.

Crystal

The price jump to commercial cleaners is huge, and usually impractical for the average home owner. I would suggest going with a Top of the line Dolphin unit and moving power access to a centralized location.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the input. The power supply is at the center of the pool, but it is still a good 20 feet from the edge of the pool. Can you use a good extension cord to get closer?

Yes, the price jump to commercial is prohibitive. I'm considering all options at this point and shopping like crazy. This is a large expense for sure. I may have to forego some of the furniture etc. and increase the budget for the robot. I was thinking I could get two regular residential type, but not sure if I could keep them from running into each other and keep them in their own half of the pool. Sigh. Still at the drawing board for now!

Crystal

- - - Updated - - -

Rob,

I am opening up to the option of the Blue Diamond if it would meet my needs regardless of the pink...all options are on the table at this point.

I think you are right about the filters...I don't really want to have to empty those constantly. A large basket/bag type would probably be much better.

Thanks for all your help!

Crystal

Running two at once is no good as they will tangle up no doubt. But sure you can use an extension cord, just use caution and make sure that circuit is GFI protected. All the normal saftey precaution.....don't use when the area or you are wet...etc. Dont skimp with a pool this size and you'll be happier in the end and increase that budget to the max.

I am now leaning toward the Blue Diamond. I do appreciate that warranty. Even the $1000 unit seems to have a higher GPM and square foot coverage than any other residential I've seen. Still don't love the colors...but it's turning out that nothing else is comparing on functionality. Now I'm trying to decide if I really need the remote. It's $3-400 more for the model with the remote. But the RC model also features the dual drive motors and a 75 foot cord as opposed to a single motor and a 60 foot on the regular model. I found the RC on ebay for $1385. All the Blue Diamond come with the cart too.

Trust me, I've owned 5 robots and the dual drive that can zero turn on the floor is better. Its more efficient and cleans the pool faster. Your pool is rectangle too which means it can't bounce off the walls and change directions very easily. And if given the option. I'd still buy an extended warranty as well. It usually costs next to nothing and if you do go over 500 cycles, you are still covered.

I am now leaning toward the Blue Diamond. I do appreciate that warranty. Even the $1000 unit seems to have a higher GPM and square foot coverage than any other residential I've seen. Still don't love the colors...but it's turning out that nothing else is comparing on functionality. Now I'm trying to decide if I really need the remote. It's $3-400 more for the model with the remote. But the RC model also features the dual drive motors and a 75 foot cord as opposed to a single motor and a 60 foot on the regular model. I found the RC on ebay for $1385. All the Blue Diamond come with the cart too.

Poolsupply world and pool supply unlimited are under 1300.

Trust me, I've owned 5 robots and the dual drive that can zero turn on the floor is better. Its more efficient and cleans the pool faster. Your pool is rectangle too which means it can't bounce off the walls and change directions very easily. And if given the option. I'd still buy an extended warranty as well. It usually costs next to nothing and if you do go over 500 cycles, you are still covered.

Who sells the extended warranty, manufacturer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.